Discussion Only-(CoNA) The Centennial Of Naval Aviation

Started by rander, December 06, 2010, 04:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

rander

Quote from: kick Z tail out on January 08, 2011, 12:05:52 PM
When do the gates open and will the Stennis be open for tours right away? The Midway being my favorite museum and all, I'd love to get a look at a Nimitz class supercarrier.

As per what I know right now,  Gates to the Base open at 8AM and Close at 5PM The Stennis should  observe the same schedule. The
Stennis and a LPH should be at North Island a few days before the Centennial. If I hear anything different I'll let you know.

Also The Midway Museum's Piasecki HUP-2 Retreiver helicopter that I am helping to restore will be one of the static display aircraft.
For Pics See my Facebook Page
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Raaver

now to find out where the birds on nasni will be parked...

Robert
Robert Verbrugge, F-16 mechanic RNLAF

rander

Quote from: Raaver on January 09, 2011, 10:07:37 AM
now to find out where the birds on nasni will be parked...

Robert

The Static Display Aircraft will be at building 341 THe Blimp Hanger.  The aircraft taking part in the "Parade OF Flight" will fly in from other San Diego area airfields.   North Island will be open house on the 12TH, THe Runways at NI will be for Emergencies only. Much of the aircraft Parking ramps will be for car parking only.  My best estimated wild assed guess THe Jets  from Miramar, Helos from Ream Field (Navy) Camp Pendleton and Miramar (USMC) and Coast Guard Air Station. Warbirds (Props) from Gillespie Field, Montgomery Field, or Brown Field.  I'll update this as we get closer to   February 12th.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

aero-engineer

Are the Centennial Jets flying or static?

Kevin
aero-engineer
Camera: Nikon

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

SBGrad

Quote from: aero-engineer on January 09, 2011, 03:08:19 PM

I've heard there will be a 'Centenial Garden,' which to me implies they will not be flying.

All predictions right or double your $$ back.

phantomphan1974

Quote from: SBGrad on January 09, 2011, 03:43:36 PM
I've heard there will be a 'Centenial Garden,' which to me implies they will not be flying.

If an aircraft is to fly its not going to be there on static.   I think it depends on the preferences of the individual squadrons I would guess.  Same with the warbirds, if they want to fly, they can't be on static.
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

kick Z tail out

Quote from: SBGrad on January 09, 2011, 03:43:36 PM

I'd go with that answer as well. Considering the size of the formation(s) we probably wouldn't be able to see the paint schemes that well anyhow, --I'm betting they'll be flying considerably higher than air show standard. Anyone care to cast doubt on my theory? (please, I would rather be wrong on that).
Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

aero-engineer

From fencecheck:

"...(most of) the centennial planes are supposed to go to NI for the static displays."

"The PA of El Centro has said that all aircrat for the flypast over San Diego will be operating from Brown Field and Miramar ONLY."

BTW - should I even post info from Fencecheck here guys? A lot of us are on there anyway.

Kevin
aero-engineer

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

rander

As far as I am concerned You Can put what you see on Fence Check Here.   Just adds to what I see and hear.
It also gives me material for questions to ask when I"m at North Island.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

rander

Quote from: aero-engineer on January 09, 2011, 03:08:19 PM

Kevin
aero-engineer

Kevin: there are 2 groups of aircraft for the Centennial, Static And the Flight Aircraft.

The static aircraft (A)will be flown in, (B)will fly in on their own, (C)or will be trucked in to North Island for display. At least one of  every aircraft the Navy ever flew since 1911.

The Flight aircraft will fly to Miramar or Brown Field and will stage in those locations.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

aero-engineer

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jan/13/public-invited-visit-three-san-diego-warships/

The public can visit carrier Stennis from 9 a.m. to noon, and tour the amphibious warship Peleliu and destroyer Pinckney from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The Navy advises people to arrive early. Authorities say as many as 50,000 people will visit North Island on Feb. 12th to tour the ships and observe the flyover.

Kevin
aero-engineer

kick Z tail out

Quote from: aero-engineer on January 14, 2011, 11:03:26 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jan/13/public-invited-visit-three-san-diego-warships/

The public can visit carrier Stennis from 9 a.m. to noon, and tour the amphibious warship Peleliu and destroyer Pinckney from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The Navy advises people to arrive early. Authorities say as many as 50,000 people will visit North Island on Feb. 12th to tour the ships and observe the flyover.

Kevin
aero-engineer
Wow, 3 whopping hours? The tour must be a jog through the hangar deck and down the flight deck and then down a zip line to the dock.
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

SBGrad

Quote from: kick Z tail out on January 14, 2011, 11:13:49 PM
Wow, 3 whopping hours? The tour must be a jog through the hangar deck and down the flight deck and then down a zip line to the dock.

Makes total sense to me.  I'm guessing the Navy is gonna put their VIPs (and/or press) on the roof to watch the flyover.

As always, all predictions guaranteed or double your $$ back.

kick Z tail out

Quote from: SBGrad on January 15, 2011, 06:09:47 AM
Makes total sense to me.  I'm guessing the Navy is gonna put their VIPs (and/or press) on the roof to watch the flyover.

As always, all predictions guaranteed or double your $$ back.
Sure, but I don't know how they expect to move the amount of people that *could* show up through there in 3 hours. It's going to involve shuffling through elbow to elbow and just walking out the other side. I've had tours like that of a C-5 at many an airshow. ;)
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

aero-engineer

Quote from: kick Z tail out on January 15, 2011, 09:18:39 AM
Sure, but I don't know how they expect to move the amount of people that *could* show up through there in 3 hours. It's going to involve shuffling through elbow to elbow and just walking out the other side. I've had tours like that of a C-5 at many an airshow. ;)

Hopefully they'll give the media tours on Fri.

Kevin
aero-engineer

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
How many engines are on a P-38 Lightning?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview