Discussion Only-(CoNA) The Centennial Of Naval Aviation

Started by rander, December 06, 2010, 04:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Realbigtaco

Quote from: gfydad on February 12, 2011, 09:08:27 PM
Couplefrom today...  :D
Jim here is my quote from the last T-34 shot..."No wait i thought i was following you!?!?

aero-engineer

I'm curious if anyone stayed around until sunset.

I opted at the last moment to cut out right after the parade of flight ended @ 3PM.
I made it across the bridge by 4PM, and into Anaheim by 5:30PM.

Kevin
aero-engineer
Camera: Nikon

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

seaninsa

My thoughts about the fly over and in general the whole day. I was very disappointed that there were none of the following aircraft displayed: A1, A4, A6, A7, F4, and the F14. In terms of helos I was surprised that there were no S3's flown at all. That was the workhorse of the Navy for the longest time.

In terms of the show, the warbirds flew to high imo. The flyover from the air wing of the Stennis was impressive but what sucked is how it came out of the west. It was hard to get good shots of it.

The biggest issue was the parking issue. We were parked in the north lot. It took us nearly 3 hours to leave. It seemed that a lot of the MP's were sitting around doing nothing. It seemed to me that they were allowing the south lot only to exit. You would think they would have some from one lot exit then have some from the other lot exit.

I was also surprised in the lack of food vendors. In fact a couple of the food vendors had ran out of bottled water.

The website stated no outside but nothing about drink and also just no glass containers. This one MP was saying that you could bring in bottled water from the outside but not in a plastic container. They did not search my bag throughly as I had a plastic container. It was funny how they said no bikes either. We saw a few of those in the event as well.

The annourcer for the Marine air part also made a comment that VMF 214 had been in Iraq in 2000. If I am not mistaken the invasion of Iraq did not even occur until 2003.

I would like to see what other people's opinions are regarding the event in general.

kick Z tail out

Quote from: seaninsa on February 14, 2011, 04:46:34 PM
My thoughts about the fly over and in general the whole day. I was very disappointed that there were none of the following aircraft displayed: A1, A4, A6, A7, F4, and the F14. In terms of helos I was surprised that there were no S3's flown at all. That was the workhorse of the Navy for the longest time.
There are no F-14s or A-6s to fly. EA-6B is as close as you can get. The F-4... there is only one, and they couldn't get it although they tried.

On the A-1 and A-4, I agree with you there. Those could have happened but they didn't.
Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

seaninsa

Surprised that there are no flying F14's considering the short amount of time since they got rid of them. Are there any A7's even flying? How about the old SeaKing helos are there any of those flying anymore?

nmcbride

Quote from: seaninsa on February 14, 2011, 05:55:53 PM
Surprised that there are no flying F14's considering the short amount of time since they got rid of them.

Little time was wasted disposing of those not sent off to museums. :'(

http://tomcatsforever.com/?tag=amarc

phantomphan1974

Quote from: aero-engineer on February 13, 2011, 08:52:36 PM

I opted at the last moment to cut out right after the parade of flight ended @ 3PM.

Kevin
aero-engineer
I know a few did until it was dark, check flickr.
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

seaninsa

Quote from: desert rat on February 15, 2011, 06:26:14 AM
We stuck around till the sunset and it cleared out pretty
Well around the statics.  After the sunset we headed for the car and it was not that bad to drive off the base.
Got some nice $#!7s in that golden light though..

Which parking lot were you in? We were in the north one and it did not empty at all into after sunset. They seemed to be emptying only the south one. A bunch of people started to get mad at the MPs because they were only emptying the one parking lot.

phantomphan1974

Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

garphoto.com

Quote from: aero-engineer on February 13, 2011, 08:52:36 PM

Kevin
aero-engineer

I was in my car by 5:00 and on Coronado bridge by 7:10...talk about slow off the base. I had understood though that the CHP had closed the bridge causing confusion as to letting traffic off or on the island. By the time I was off the bridge I was home by 9:00 (Santa Ana).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview