Discussion Only-(CoNA) The Centennial Of Naval Aviation

Started by rander, December 06, 2010, 04:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

phantomphan1974

Quote from: kick Z tail out on February 01, 2011, 12:14:09 PM
Exactly... it's gonna be a nightmare. I may just go over to Dog Beach at 0500 and sit there. No kidding. I know it's overkill, but I seriously want no part in the traffic crapfest that is going to ensue... traffic in Coronado is not pretty on a normal day, I can only imagine in my wildest nightmares what it's going to look like on the 12th.

I wouldn't waste my time going on friday unless I was getting on base. So, for anyone that didn't apply for media, I'd just show up saturday if I were you.

Rander, glad I could help with the brain storming.  ;D
I am wondering, depending on how far from the hotel it is, if it would be good to just walk to the base on Friday and/or Saturday?
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

seaninsa

So would Dog Beach be a good spot? Not sure where it is but I will look it up. I can imagne that going over that bridge would be a zoo. I have only been across it one time.

SBGrad

Quote from: phantomphan1974 on February 01, 2011, 01:10:20 PM
I am wondering, depending on how far from the hotel it is, if it would be good to just walk to the base on Friday and/or Saturday?

It is almost 2 miles one way from the main gate to the statics area.

phantomphan1974

Quote from: SBGrad on February 01, 2011, 02:17:50 PM
It is almost 2 miles one way from the main gate to the statics area.
Oh, a bit of a walk I guess.
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

GTagami

Canon stuff.

kick Z tail out

Yep, there's going to be a ton of walking. Would be nice if they gave us a closer area to park our vehicles on friday though...  <laughing>
Quote from: seaninsa on February 01, 2011, 01:41:01 PM
So would Dog Beach be a good spot? Not sure where it is but I will look it up. I can imagne that going over that bridge would be a zoo. I have only been across it one time.
For the show itself, probably not at all... Dog Beach is the beach just off to the left of the main base gate.
Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

rander

Quote from: aero-engineer on January 28, 2011, 09:47:17 PM
I have some more info for everyone:

Now here's the interesting thing:
5. On a .ppt I've seen (but can't share), the Parade of flight route takes a hard left turn and heads RIGHT DOWN RNWY 18.  I'm not sure if it is accurate, or just quick and dirty powerpointmanship.

Item 5 from what i heard an official at NI state not likely to happen.

We Midway Museum Hanger Volunteers are going to have a Pot Luck Picnic on the 12th at our Hanger so I'll be on base early and I'll walk over to the static display probally before it gets filled up with people and then about 10  or 10;30 Head back to the Midway Hanger for food and a soda and a nap. Get out my back yard lounger and get comfy and wait for the Parade of flight to begin. Or I could wander out on the NAS NI fishing pier and watch from there.
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

rander

Quote from: kick Z tail out on February 01, 2011, 12:14:09 PM
Exactly... it's gonna be a nightmare. I may just go over to Dog Beach at 0500 and sit there. No kidding. I know it's overkill, but I seriously want no part in the traffic crapfest that is going to ensue... traffic in Coronado is not pretty on a normal day, I can only imagine in my wildest nightmares what it's going to look like on the 12th.

I wouldn't waste my time going on friday unless I was getting on base. So, for anyone that didn't apply for media, I'd just show up saturday if I were you.

Rander, glad I could help with the brain storming.  ;D

as For Dog Beach, I believe I'd rethink that, Dog Beach would be fantastic on the 8th,9th or 10th when the static displays that can arrive under their own power will fly in. John Cullver arrives around "mid day" on the 10th in the War Dog.

www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

rander

Quote from: phantomphan1974 on February 01, 2011, 01:10:20 PM

Conservatively I'd say from the Hotel del Coronado to the Static Display your looking at about 2- 2.5 miles one way. I.d say if your driving to NI try hitting the main gate between 7 and 7:20 by that time they might actually be setup to let people in for the day. Festivities in the Static Display begin at 9am, and you might get some  up close parking. Withan anticipated 50,000 Plus comming on board and 1300 Dignataries as invited guests of the USS Stennis. It'll be a ZOO for sure.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

rander

Quote from: seaninsa on February 01, 2011, 01:41:01 PM

I'd say if you are going to watch from a beach The Silver Strand Beach would be better, Take a look at the image in post 64 this thread where the green arrows cross the beach into SD Harbor and set up there for the Parade of Flight. If you want the CAG 9 flyover Dog Beach might be ok. Just a thought.   AS a reminder The CAG-9 flyover is a one time, one way event.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

aero-engineer

FYI - a source of mine said he was told that the flybys will be at 1500 ft.   :-\

Kevin
aero-engineer
Camera: Nikon

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

kick Z tail out

Quote from: aero-engineer on February 01, 2011, 09:19:54 PM
FYI - a source of mine said he was told that the flybys will be at 1500 ft.   :-\

Kevin
aero-engineer
For the CVW-9 flyover, that's pretty much what I expected... for the parade aircraft, that is extremely high. I don't think the parade aircraft will be that high at all though. Especially the warbirds, they'd be dots. I think somebody got some wires crossed. :)
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

kick Z tail out

Quote from: rander on February 01, 2011, 07:23:50 PM
as For Dog Beach, I believe I'd rethink that, Dog Beach would be fantastic on the 8th,9th or 10th when the static displays that can arrive under their own power will fly in. John Cullver arrives around "mid day" on the 10th in the War Dog.

I'm just talking about sitting there as I wait for the vehicle lineup to start... I won't be there the 8th, 9th or 10th... I live too far away to camp out the entire week.
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

Realbigtaco

Quote from: aero-engineer on February 01, 2011, 09:19:54 PM

Kevin
aero-engineer
Something tells me that the flybys, from a photographers point of view, are not going to be spectacular.

kick Z tail out

Quote from: Realbigtaco on February 02, 2011, 06:57:40 AM
Something tells me that the flybys, from a photographers point of view, are not going to be spectacular.
I wouldn't get real worried about the 1500 feet just yet... if the parade aircraft are at 1500 feet then I'd definitely have to laugh at the fact that they are putting grandstands up. What altitude were the Red Bull aircraft at? I wouldn't expect the parade aircraft to be 8 times higher... maybe 2 or 3 times, but not 8...
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
How many engines are on a P-38 Lightning?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview