Discussion Only-(CoNA) The Centennial Of Naval Aviation

Started by rander, December 06, 2010, 04:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

kick Z tail out

I just test flew the parade route in a Superbug in FSX, and can report that it's possible to fly the route at 550 to 650 kts and still easily follow North Island's north side without straying onto the Lindbergh side of the water. So hopefully we could see some fast passes, hopefully yielding some shots like example #3.  ;)

[/scientific]
Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

Realbigtaco

Quote from: kick Z tail out on January 28, 2011, 07:52:21 AM
I just test flew the parade route in a Superbug in FSX, and can report that it's possible to fly the route at 550 to 650 kts and still easily follow North Island's north side without straying onto the Lindbergh side of the water. So hopefully we could see some fast passes, hopefully yielding some shots like example #3.  ;)

[/scientific]

Showoff....

kick Z tail out

Quote from: Realbigtaco on January 28, 2011, 12:25:36 PM
Showoff....
Hey, I think this is a good use of FSX as an intelligence gathering tool  ;)  :D

Here is a video of what I am interpreting as the parade route... in a high speed pass down the route:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAtN6JqXrBA

Watch in HD when available... (for some reason 720p is smoothest)
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

Raaver

did you simulate it with a C-2? i did, they go about 250-300kts. add the formation, it's totally doable...
i think the centenial static is a nice spot to be at then.
my 2ct...

Robert
Robert Verbrugge, F-16 mechanic RNLAF

kick Z tail out

Quote from: Raaver on January 28, 2011, 01:51:47 PM
did you simulate it with a C-2? i did, they go about 250-300kts. add the formation, it's totally doable...
i think the centenial static is a nice spot to be at then.
my 2ct...

Robert
So far I just did the F/A-18E... I can try flying it with an E-2C (don't have a C-2 unfortunately), a Legacy Bug, S-3, P-3, P-8, EA-6B, KC-130...

Though if a Superbug at 600 kts can navigate the channel there, anything will. I still think the mass formation will follow the red lines for a straight over pass.
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

Realbigtaco

Quote from: kick Z tail out on January 28, 2011, 02:24:34 PM
So far I just did the F/A-18E... I can try flying it with an E-2C (don't have a C-2 unfortunately), a Legacy Bug, S-3, P-3, P-8, EA-6B, KC-130...

Though if a Superbug at 600 kts can navigate the channel there, anything will. I still think the mass formation will follow the red lines for a straight over pass.
Let's see if you can fly the 30 plane air group in tight formation curving around the bay.  It might take you awhile, but you can do it.

You know i was hoping to see a couple high speed passes through the bay, and not the typical 250 kts pass and review.  Tear that $h!t up!!  Show us what the US NAVY is all about!

rander

Quote from: aero-engineer on January 26, 2011, 09:05:14 PM
From an Oct 2010 briefing about the year of events.
The CONA Kickoff San Diego slide had this in the corner.

Kevin
aero-engineer

1.    In reference to The Image in post #65, I was told that the Air Wing 9 aircraft will assemble out to sea and make a single ONE time pass approximately the heading of the RED arrows. There will not be a return pass. When this pass is announced have your cameras ready and snap as fast as you can that all your going to get. All other Parade of Flight aircraft will follow the route of the GREEN arrows

2.   The reason the visiting hours onboard the USS Stennis are only from 9am until 12  Noon Is that the USS Stennis will host up to 1300 dignataries and special Invited guests. the uss Stennis will be Air Show center For those watching onboard only. Depending on where the USS Stennis is berthed I believe They will Miss the Air Wing 9 flyover!  I also believe The USS Midway will be to far away from the Air Wing 9 flyover to get good shots of it.

HINT: I was told that the best vantage point for all fly over aircraft maybe just west of building 341 in the static dsplay area  and along the fence that extends west from Building 341 and next to Moffett Road.

3. Static Displays. I was told that the Curtis Pusher or Triad should arrive at North Island February 1st Actual ETA is unknown. Most Static display       aircraft should arrive on the 9th or 10th  arrivals on the 8th are also possible. Not all aircraft will fly in under their own power.

Thats all I have for now
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

aero-engineer

Quote from: rander on January 28, 2011, 05:06:57 PM

Thats all I have for now

I have some more info for everyone:

1. Stennis will be at Pier K, about 1/8th mile from the main show area. There will be a walking path and shuttle buses.
2. Peleliu will be at Pier L.  (Walk further East once at Stennis)

But the stuff we REALLY care about:

Reference: http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1101/00374AD.PDF

3. The static displays outdoor CONA display and event area will be to the ramp West of Building 340/341. (Two black hangers.) The CONA will area will wrap to the West of Bldg 272/273.  That is where the entrance will be.  This is the area surrounded by TXWY J and K, North of TXWY L.
4. Around Helipad 2, North of Bldg 271/273 will be the CONA VIP Chalet.

Now here's the interesting thing:
5. On a .ppt I've seen (but can't share), the Parade of flight route takes a hard left turn and heads RIGHT DOWN RNWY 18.  I'm not sure if it is accurate, or just quick and dirty powerpointmanship.
Camera: Nikon

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

kick Z tail out

I'm going to guess that it's just a sloppy powerpoint graphic, we'll have to see how it turns out.  ;D
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

rander

Quote from: kick Z tail out on January 28, 2011, 12:52:59 PM
Hey, I think this is a good use of FSX as an intelligence gathering tool  ;)  :D

Here is a video of what I am interpreting as the parade route... in a high speed pass down the route:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAtN6JqXrBA

Watch in HD when available... (for some reason 720p is smoothest)
From what I saw in Nate's Video, My orginal thought of being in the Static Display area at North Island is still the Best place to be for pics of the Parade of Flight.
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

SDAztec25

Travis Miller
-----------------
http://www.travismillerphotos.com

g0_command0

seaninsa

I guess I have a few questions regarding this event. Can the regular public attend Friday and if so what time should we arrive?  For Saturday, what time should one arrive? Where should one possibly set up? Are others going that know this location?

Thanks,

Sean

GTagami

Quote from: seaninsa on February 01, 2011, 11:52:45 AM
I guess I have a few questions regarding this event. Can the regular public attend Friday and if so what time should we arrive?  For Saturday, what time should one arrive? Where should one possibly set up? Are others going that know this location?

Thanks,

Sean

I believe Friday is for media only.

I would get there EARLY for Saturday. The last figure I heard was 60,000 expected. Try imagining even half of that trying to make it over the bridge in the morning.

I know that others here might try and set up outside of the island but I'm not sure who or where. Hopefully, others will chime in and help get you contected.

g
Canon stuff.

kick Z tail out

Quote from: GTagami on February 01, 2011, 12:06:53 PM
Try imagining even half of that trying to make it over the bridge in the morning.
Exactly... it's gonna be a nightmare. I may just go over to Dog Beach at 0500 and sit there. No kidding. I know it's overkill, but I seriously want no part in the traffic crapfest that is going to ensue... traffic in Coronado is not pretty on a normal day, I can only imagine in my wildest nightmares what it's going to look like on the 12th.

I wouldn't waste my time going on friday unless I was getting on base. So, for anyone that didn't apply for media, I'd just show up saturday if I were you.

Rander, glad I could help with the brain storming.  ;D
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview