News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

Palmdale Plant 42 - PMD

Started by akradecki, May 22, 2009, 06:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfydad

Not to mention the sniper pod. This is the very first of its kind. Rolled out Nov 3 last year.   :)

evangilder

f4_phantom_fan

(sorry Jim!)  LOL       >:D

NikonGuy

Fernando Sedeno
Camera: Nikon D90 DSLR
Nikkor DX 18-55mm ED AF
Nikkor 70-300mm ED-IF AF-S VR
Member of... AOPA,PHPA, and ISAP.
www.flickr.com/photos/fernandosedeno
www.helispot.com/who/102247-Fernando+Sedeno/
www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=32801
www.flightaware.com/user/Nando08

CHILIBEAN

Those are some cool pics....but can i ask what kind of plane this is and what its used for?
Robert S. Quintana

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1

Canon EOS 7D II Digital SLR   <canon>
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    Digital SLR  

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF-16-35 f/2.8 L II USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

f4_phantom_fan

That's the Airborne Laser 747 from Edwards. I caught it back in April doing a single touch n go at Plant 42.

There was another guy there at BJ's Corner who had a contact at the base, and every now and then he'd call over and check on where the aircraft was - it was allegedly going to do a tng at Victorville and then come to Palmdale, and then return to Edwards. We waited and waited, and his contact kept telling us it would appear later, and later. Finally the last time we  heard from the contact, we decided that since we were apparently going to have more time to wait, we should head over to the east side of P42 for a better angle. The guy with the base contact took off - I started to as well, but then that Singapore F-15 showed up, so I stuck around to watch that, and then I began to head off to the eastside, but before I could make the southbound turn onto Sierra Hwy, you could see the ABL on final way off in the distance, so I had to stop where I was and jog a little bit south down sierra hwy to get a decent angle for pics. I hope the other guy managed to get to the other side in time, but I have a feeling he missed the aircraft entirely. I'm sure he was REALLY frustrated, because, like me, he'd never seen it before.

CHILIBEAN

oh ok..thank you for the info i was wondering what type of aircraft it was
Robert S. Quintana

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1

Canon EOS 7D II Digital SLR   <canon>
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    Digital SLR  

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF-16-35 f/2.8 L II USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

akradecki

Speaking of BJ's corner, I pulled in there late Monday afternoon to kill some time while waiting to go to an appointment, and was a little surprised to see an LA County Sherriff's SUV parked there. I was afraid he was there to chase folks away, but I was there for about 15 minutes, and he never got out of his vehicle. Guess he just needed to kill time too and was looking for planes...
Alan
Mojave Skies blog: http://mojaveskies.blogspot.com

phantomphan1974

Quote from: akradecki on June 24, 2009, 09:12:11 AM
Speaking of BJ's corner, I pulled in there late Monday afternoon to kill some time while waiting to go to an appointment, and was a little surprised to see an LA County Sherriff's SUV parked there. I was afraid he was there to chase folks away, but I was there for about 15 minutes, and he never got out of his vehicle. Guess he just needed to kill time too and was looking for planes...
Probably a Sgt or higher.  I had one of them (SUV) pull up on me in the Chevelle and said it was nice but to cool it on cleain the carb.  We wer going about 45-55 in a 35 zone.  I thought he was a SUV tailgate me. ;D
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

f4_phantom_fan

Most of the deputies who I've come across at BJs are pretty cool. Some will come up and ask what's flying, etc etc. Last guy I spoke to was asking about who was maintaining the flag. I told him I thought BJ still had a brother in the area who replaces it when it gets ratty, though every now and then there's a Navy Vet who comes by in an RV and does it as well.

The cop you want to watch out for is this one particular motorcycle deputy, who patrols the area, and is VERY aggressive about pulling people over near the corner. I see him pull so many people over I'd swear he's working on that stereotypical 'quota'.

phantomphan1974

Quote from: f4_phantom_fan on June 24, 2009, 12:31:00 PM
Most of the deputies who I've come across at BJs are pretty cool. Some will come up and ask what's flying, etc etc. Last guy I spoke to was asking about who was maintaining the flag. I told him I thought BJ still had a brother in the area who replaces it when it gets ratty, though every now and then there's a Navy Vet who comes by in an RV and does it as well.

The cop you want to watch out for is this one particular motorcycle deputy, who patrols the area, and is VERY aggressive about pulling people over near the corner. I see him pull so many people over I'd swear he's working on that stereotypical 'quota'.

Good to know if any of us go up there to spot....
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

Josh

For those who don't know BJ's Corner and Palmdale, its at Sierra Hwy & W. Avenue N. at the end of Rwy 25.

f4_phantom_fan

.......And the other spot (eastside) is just west of the intersection of 50th Street East and Avenue N.

akradecki

Quote from: f4_phantom_fan on June 24, 2009, 02:52:57 PM
.......And the other spot (eastside) is just west of the intersection of 50th Street East and Avenue N.
Aka "The Notch". Tip: park on the side of the opposite side of the street from the fence, and you won't be as likely to be yelled at by Plant 42 security.
Alan
Mojave Skies blog: http://mojaveskies.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview