News:

[06-06-2023] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum

Started by rander, October 20, 2008, 07:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Realbigtaco

Quote from: rander on January 10, 2010, 03:25:57 PM
I see according to Chris's photos that the damage to the left side of the CH-53 has been fixed and the AV-8C has been painted.

Cool Pics, Chris!!!!

I noticed that on another picture, what happened to the CH-53?

rander

Not real sure how the damage got there, The CH-53A was a gate guard at the old MCAS Tustin, the damage was either there when it became a gate guard or it happened when the  helo was moved to Miramar. Whats really a shame is the F.L.A.M. has a C-117, a C-54, and a C-119 on base that are just being neglected and the Museum does not seem to have any interest in preserveing these aircraft.
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Realbigtaco

Quote from: rander on January 11, 2010, 01:04:08 AM
Not real sure how the damage got there, The CH-53A was a gate guard at the old MCAS Tustin, the damage was either there when it became a gate guard or it happened when the  helo was moved to Miramar. Whats really a shame is the F.L.A.M. has a C-117, a C-54, and a C-119 on base that are just being neglected and the Museum does not seem to have any interest in preserving these aircraft.
yeah i do like those birds inside.  SO maybe you know this since you say you have some contacts there, but what is their time-line, and maybe likelihood for that matter, that they will actually get that nice museum building built.  I really keep thinking that if that actually goes through that it could be one of the best West Coast museums, but something in the back of my mind thinks it will either take decades...or not at all.

rander

I haven't talked ith LTCOL Johnson USMC Ret. in some time now but my last conversation was early last  summer. THey don't have the $ 20-25million they need for the new building. They wern't even trying to seek donations for it. Being a Midway volunteer, I offered suggestions That they could do with the space they have available to try and land some big corporate or private sponsors. I don' t think any of that is happening.
I have done volunteer work for the F.L.A.M. I nearly single handedly drove in  nearly a thousand screws that were missing from the adversary hornet.I put all these screws in with screws I got from work at FRCSW and went over there on a couple of weekends and drove them all in myself. 
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Realbigtaco

Quote from: rander on January 11, 2010, 06:17:09 PM
I haven't talked ith LTCOL Johnson USMC Ret. in some time now but my last conversation was early last  summer. THey don't have the $ 20-25million they need for the new building. They wern't even trying to seek donations for it. Being a Midway volunteer, I offered suggestions That they could do with the space they have available to try and land some big corporate or private sponsors. I don' t think any of that is happening.
I have done volunteer work for the F.L.A.M. I nearly single handedly drove in  nearly a thousand screws that were missing from the adversary hornet.I put all these screws in with screws I got from work at FRCSW and went over there on a couple of weekends and drove them all in myself. 
I kind of figured that they would have funding issues.

That's my next big thing i want to do is to donate my time to do restoration work on aircraft.  Little hard when i got a couple little ones at home.

Thanks for all the info Rander.

rander

Quote from: Realbigtaco on January 11, 2010, 09:06:15 PM
I kind of figured that they would have funding issues.

That's my next big thing i want to do is to donate my time to do restoration work on aircraft.  Little hard when i got a couple little ones at home.

Thanks for all the info Rander.

I know, Chris. I'd like to spend more time volunteering at the Midway. I'm currently inactive there as I'm working 6 days a week at NI and trying to squeeze in a couple hours a week here and there to take pics, and health isssues I have and affairs with my mom (shes 92), I just have little time for Volunteering. Seems as you get older life just get so much more complicated.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

phantomphan1974

Quote from: rander on January 12, 2010, 12:55:07 AM
I know, Chris. I'd like to spend more time volunteering at the Midway. I'm currently inactive there as I'm working 6 days a week at NI and trying to squeeze in a couple hours a week here and there to take pics, and health isssues I have and affairs with my mom (shes 92), I just have little time for Volunteering. Seems as you get older life just get so much more complicated.
I hear you on that and agree, either yourself or your family (my dad health issues for me)
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

raptorf22

Leatherneck museum yesterday the bronco has a new desert camo paint job looks cool

16Right

Great shots.

I'll have to check out the museum the next time I'm down that way.

rander

Hi All, Happy Veterans Day. Normally I go to the Midway Museuum on Veterans Day. A postponed NCAA Basketball game, and all the extra people that I would have to deal with,  I went to The Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum insted.

The aircraft in the pictures below has one  teny tiny little flaw in it. The flaw was there the day McDonnel Douglas rolled it out and the Marines accepted it that way. So for historical reasons, when the museum restored The aircraft, the flaw was left like it  was. This restoration is Considered Authentic.  If you see the flaw, E-mail your Answer to rander159002@gmail.com. There is NO Prize for correct answers. You are just very observant

www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

rander

I visited this museum today as it was Veterans Day.

The AV-8C in its new colors.   

A F-4 Phantom rpainted for the Miramar Aifr Show.

CH-46 BUNO 154803A documented war hero aircraft.

The write up about CH-46 Buno1458803. This Helo had a major role in the evacuation of Saigon in 1975.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

rander

This A-4M Skyhawk Buno160264, Tail End Charlie ws originally painted by McDonnel Douglas with one teny tiny little flaw.  Reciently The Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum restored this aircraft. The museum repainted the aircraft exactly as McDonnell Douglas did when the aircraft was rolled out. For Historical Accuracy, the flaw is still there. This restoration is considered Authentic.   Any one see it?  E-mail your answer to   rander159002@gmail.com. There is NO Prize for correct answers. Except that you are very observant.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

phantomphan1974

I can't find it, and my only guess is that it has to do with country representation.
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

Aguillard

Quote from: rander on November 11, 2012, 09:33:45 PM
I visited this museum today as it was Veterans Day.

The AV-8C in its new colors.   

A F-4 Phantom rpainted for the Miramar Aifr Show.

CH-46 BUNO 154803A documented war hero aircraft.

The write up about CH-46 Buno1458803. This Helo had a major role in the evacuation of Saigon in 1975.

Actually the F4 wasn't done for the show. It was done bexause it was looking old and ragged, and when the Curatoe saw it from across the street, he was embarresed at how bad it looked.
Doug Aguillard
San Diego, CA
www.combataircraft.us

rander

For those scratching your heads, look at the Flag of Argentina. In the center of the white is supposed to be "Sun Of May" That is what McDonnell Douglas left out of the original painting of this aircraft. For Historical Accuracy, The museum left the "Sun of May" off as well.

Sun of May

The sun, called the Sun of May, is a replica of an engraving on the first Argentine coin, approved in 1813, whose value was eight escudos (one Spanish dollar). It has 16 straight and 16 waved sunbeams.

In 1978 the sun color was specified to be golden yellow (amarillo oro), to have an inner diameter of 10 cm, and an outer diameter of 25 cm (the diameter of the sun equals 5/6 the height of the white stripe. The sun's face is 2/5 of its height). It features 32 rays, 16 undulated and 16 straight, in alternation and from 1978 it must be embroidered in the "Official Flag Ceremony".

According to Wikipedia, the last A-4 series aircraft was produced in 1979 so the "Sun of May" should have been there in 1979.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview