News:

[06-06-2023] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum

Started by rander, October 20, 2008, 07:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rander

Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

phantomphan1974

Quote from: rander on April 28, 2009, 01:51:58 AM
Great Pics, Alfonse!! <thumbup> <thumbup>
Ditto.

Rander, what happen to the CH-53?  It looked like a car ran into it last time I went about 3-6 months ago.
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

rander

Quote from: phantomphan1974 on April 28, 2009, 09:00:24 AM
Ditto.

Rander, what happen to the CH-53?  It looked like a car ran into it last time I went about 3-6 months ago.

Is that the damage that was on the left side near the Left Main Landing Gear. If there is damage on the right side also? I don't know about that. The left side dmage has been there a while, I don,t believe they have any plans to fix it. The MC has promised the museum a CH-53E aircraft, They don't have a delivery date yet.

For Alfonse: the Flying Leatherneck hanger storage yard currently has a F-4S, An A-4 not sure what model, and another F-8 Crusader and the AV-8C Harrier is there still in the blue and white NASA paint. The F-4, A-4 and the F-8 have been canablized for parts for the aircraft on display.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Midnight Mover

Quote from: g0_command0 on April 27, 2009, 10:30:51 PM
Some pics i took last friday!

all pics are copy right alfonse vu 2009!

ok now im lazy..ill upload more later

Cool 8)

phantomphan1974

See damage bu red stands.  Looks like they might be working in it or ripped off that dented part.
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

rander

Quote from: phantomphan1974 on April 29, 2009, 04:37:31 AM
See damage bu red stands.  Looks like they might be working in it or ripped off that dented part.

Yes thats where the damage was. Looks like they're getting around to fixing it.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

kick Z tail out

Quote from: aero-engineer on October 20, 2008, 09:12:10 PM
I hate to see them repaint that AV-8C from the NASA test colors.

Oh well.
I'm kinda agreed with Kevin on that. It's a rare beast as is in the NASA colors. But I suppose the Leatherneck museum was given that plane for their own purposes, so I can't blame them for wanting to use it the way they wanted it.

But still... how many friggin Harriers were painted in USMC colors??? Do they need a C model that badly?
Quote from: g0_command0 on April 27, 2009, 10:30:51 PM
Some pics i took last friday!
Wow, sick font on that aggressor Marine Hornet!

I'm into things like that I guess. Sick fonts.  :-[

<laughing>
Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

billmccarroll

A neglected airplane (C-47, I think) sitting with two other vintage aircraft in a park at Miramar Naval Air Station. My goal with this photo was to give this old jewel some life by creating an illusion of flight. I didn't want to render any ground reference so that nothing gets in the way of envisioning this old beauty in the air. The sky had remnants of storm clouds after passage of a cold front and the sun helped as it shone through the clouds. The title fits, I'm sure this aircraft has memories of the past to give up...but for now, she's flying in all her glory just one more time.

NikonGuy

Thats a pretty cool shot there, Bill, the colors are great.    ;)
Fernando Sedeno
Camera: Nikon D90 DSLR
Nikkor DX 18-55mm ED AF
Nikkor 70-300mm ED-IF AF-S VR
Member of... AOPA,PHPA, and ISAP.
www.flickr.com/photos/fernandosedeno
www.helispot.com/who/102247-Fernando+Sedeno/
www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=32801
www.flightaware.com/user/Nando08

Midnight Mover

Quote from: billmccarroll on December 22, 2009, 06:24:10 PM
A neglected airplane (C-47, I think) sitting with two other vintage aircraft in a park at Miramar Naval Air Station. My goal with this photo was to give this old jewel some life by creating an illusion of flight. I didn't want to render any ground reference so that nothing gets in the way of envisioning this old beauty in the air. The sky had remnants of storm clouds after passage of a cold front and the sun helped as it shone through the clouds. The title fits, I'm sure this aircraft has memories of the past to give up...but for now, she's flying in all her glory just one more time.

Great shot. On friday last year they parked me over there. They have some cool stuff :D

billmccarroll

Thanks for the comments.  I've wanted to photograph those airplanes for a while now but they're not in great shape so never made it a priority.  But today I was at the base exchange for Christmas shopping and wandered over to the park with my camera not really expecting to get anything special.  But the sun was lined up nicely for this shot and I thought I could shoot it with no ground perspective to give the feeling of flight.  I'm glad it came out so nicely.

rander

I quired at the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum several months ago and it seems that the museum IS NOT in any hurry to do any restoratiton work on the C-117 (because of the taller tail) ( The Iwakuni bird) the C-54 (R-4D)or the C-119 Flying Boxcar. So (Sadly) just lettting them sit and rust is the option they took. 
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Realbigtaco

Finally made it out to the FLM, and it was a great little museum.  The group has plans to build a bigger museum in the future, and if they do and are able to refurbish some of the planes this could be one of the best museums on the west coast.  Here are a couple i got

rander

I see according to Chris's photos that the damage to the left side of the CH-53 has been fixed and the AV-8C has been painted.

Cool Pics, Chris!!!!
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview