News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

Breitling HB Airshow Oct 21-23, 2016

Started by aero-engineer, September 06, 2016, 07:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

aero-engineer

Breitling HB Airshow Oct 21-23, 2016
http://www.hbairshow.com/

Has any one of us shot a beach airshow before?

Kevin
aero-engineer
Camera: Nikon

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

phantomphan1974

Will be backlit I think.  Wings Wheels and Rotors is Sunday and should be interesting.
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

Britt

I'm going to head out there the Friday before the show and scope out the angles. I think, if shot right, you can get some good stuff that's not backlit. When Thunderbird #7 came out a few months ago and did a few passes over the beach, there were certain angles that were actually pretty good. Granted, the sun's angle has changed since then, but I think the trick will be to actually be far right of show center if the performances are later in the day. Since you'll be shooting more south, and the sun *should* be behind you most of the day. Anything before noon, and you'll want to be on the far left side shooting towards the pier. We'll see what the schedule has for the timing.

Britt Dietz
Canon EOS 1DX (DSLR)
Canon EOS 1D Mark III (DSLR)
Canon EOS 7D Mark II (DSLR)
Canon EOS 5D (DSLR)
-------------------
Warbird-Photos Aviation Photography
Facebook Fan Page
Dietz Dolls Pinup Photography
Planes of Fame Air Museum & Lyon Air Museum Photographer

aero-engineer

The information I read online said that show center will be at Beach Blvd, not at the pier.  Does that match what Tbird 8 flew?

Also, I think the flying starts at noon.

Kevin
aero-engineer

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

aero-engineer

Quote from: Britt on September 07, 2016, 04:36:45 PM
....but I think the trick will be to actually be far right of show center if the performances are later in the day. Since you'll be shooting more south, and the sun *should* be behind you most of the day.....

For the afternoon show, I would assume one would want to shoot as north looking aof an angle as possible.  The sun is always South of us here and the beach faces southwest.  That would be the far left crowd side of the show.

I think the beach is more southward facing than March ARB base side.

That doesn't bode well for iconic shots with the pier I don't think.

Of course,that means the real answer is from a boat!

Kevin
aero-engineer

Britt

Quote from: aero-engineer on September 15, 2016, 09:47:38 PM
The information I read online said that show center will be at Beach Blvd, not at the pier.  Does that match what Tbird 8 flew?4

Correct, show center is at Beach and PCH intersection. That's where I was when I shot the Tbird shots. I'm curious if the aerobatic box will end up closing the pier down, since #8 flew right over the pier.

Quote from: aero-engineer on September 15, 2016, 09:55:37 PM
Of course,that means the real answer is from a boat!

I was curious about that, but I've heard they are going to push the boats pretty far out, and if the water is choppy at all from the waves, it could be really tough to shoot.
Britt Dietz
Canon EOS 1DX (DSLR)
Canon EOS 1D Mark III (DSLR)
Canon EOS 7D Mark II (DSLR)
Canon EOS 5D (DSLR)
-------------------
Warbird-Photos Aviation Photography
Facebook Fan Page
Dietz Dolls Pinup Photography
Planes of Fame Air Museum & Lyon Air Museum Photographer

aero-engineer

I found Davey's Locker offering an airshow tour sailing from Newport departing at 11:00AM and return at approximately 5:00PM.

It appears they are pushing their prices around - it is currently $75 Fri-Sun.  (Last week it was $60 for Fri, $100 for Sat and Sun.)

https://www.daveyslocker.com/news/get-a-seat-to-the-huntington-beach-air-show/

Kevin
aero-engineer

aero-engineer

Quote from: Britt on September 16, 2016, 01:58:19 PM
I was curious about that, but I've heard they are going to push the boats pretty far out, and if the water is choppy at all from the waves, it could be really tough to shoot.

So I looked at Fort Lauderdale's beach airshow  and it states:
"Viewing of the Fort Lauderdale Air Show is permitted in a limited area on the eastern perimeter  of the United States Coast Guard Safety Zone.  The eastern perimeter extends 14,000 feet parallel with the flight  path of the performing  aircraft and is approximately one mile away [from show center]."

The marked googlemap on their website depicts showcenter being ~2000ft off the beach, leaving about 5,000 to the east perimeter alright.

For comparison, the distance from the March ARB Museum fence to the base tower is about 4,500 ft.

Kevin
aero-engineer

aero-engineer

aero-engineer

Coast Guard NoticeL

The Breitling Huntington Beach Airshow will be occurring off of  Huntington Beach,  CA ,  from 20-23 Oct 16.  The Coast Guard is establishing a temporary safety zone, encompassing all navigable waters from the surface to the sea floor within the following coordinates:
   33-38-04.26N 117-58-20.64W
   33-37-39.90N 117-58-42.72W
   33-38-52.20N 118-00-37.92W
   33-39-16.56N 118-00-15.84W
The temporary  safety  zone will only  be enforced during actual airshow demonstrations.   A irshow demonstrations are scheduled to commence  from 0900-1800 daily on 20-23 Oct 16.  During the enforcement period, vessels are prohibited from entering into, transiting through, or remaining within the temporary safety zone unless authorized by the Captain of the Port or her designated representative.  Enforcement of the zone will be advertised via Broadcast Notice to Mariners.

aero-engineer

aero-engineer

Looks like they are doing two 3 hour tours now for $30 each Fri, $40 each Sat & Sun.  (11AM and 2:15 departures)

Kevin
aero-engineer

Quote from: aero-engineer on September 19, 2016, 07:22:59 PM
I found Davey's Locker offering an airshow tour sailing from Newport departing at 11:00AM and return at approximately 5:00PM.

It appears they are pushing their prices around - it is currently $75 Fri-Sun.  (Last week it was $60 for Fri, $100 for Sat and Sun.)

https://www.daveyslocker.com/news/get-a-seat-to-the-huntington-beach-air-show/

Kevin
aero-engineer

aero-engineer

BTW - only the TBirds are at Los Al.  The rest are staging from Long Beach.

Kevin
aero-engineer

Quote from: phantomphan1974 on September 06, 2016, 11:52:49 PM
Will be backlit I think.  Wings Wheels and Rotors is Sunday and should be interesting.

aero-engineer

I emailed the Ruby's on the HB pier and they confirmed they will be open for business all weekend long.

Kevin
aero-engineer

Johnny Eck

10-20-2016 Thunderbirds orientation flight Huntington Beach.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a P-38 Lightning?:
How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview