News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

RAW Format

Started by Midnight Mover, May 15, 2008, 11:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnight Mover

How many of you shoot RAW, and what software do you use to post process?

Myself, I just started using RAW. You seem to have more options, but need a lot more memory cards. In my case I use to shoot with an 8 GB card on my 30D using JPEG and it would last about a day. Now I bought 2 more for a total of 24GB per day. Should give me about 2,700 shots. Will see  :o

Software, I am using Phase One, Capscure One LE for post processing. Seems to work well. Just wondering what everyone else uses :)

Josh

I only use RAW when shooting people and specific subjects. I shot a practice day at Miramar in raw once, and I just about went crazy dealing with all that in the hotel after. ::)

I use Capscure One Pro, then finish off with either Paint Shop Pro X or Photoshop CS8.

phantomphan1974

Quote from: desert rat on May 16, 2008, 11:33:42 AM
I only shoot RAW for everything.. I don't shoot 2700 images though at a airshow.. Much less than that close to 1000 or less..

I use Nikon Capscure NX or Bibble to process my shots... 
<rob> <rob>

Me depending on the conditions ie hazy or not or if I need more fps I don't.  So mostly not but alot more that when I first started shooting digital.
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

GTagami

I only shoot in RAW format and process in Lightroom and Photoshop CS3.

G
Canon stuff.

Midnight Mover

Thanks for this great info, I shot all pix in RAW at the Torrance parade and will see how they turn out. Stay tuned ::)

kick Z tail out

Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

Dragonskiss

I usually shoot all in RAW, thanks to Midnight.  When I first starting using the camera, I always shot in JPEG....I enjoyed the simplicity of it and wanted to keep my post processing to a minimum.  Once I got hooked onto RAW and the learned about the benefits of shooting with it, I'm probably never going back.  I just love the flexibility, as well as the control and latitude it gives you over JPEG.  Currently, all my processing is done via DPP and Photoshop 7.0 (I know, it's old).  I have my sights on Lightroom 2.  Looks like a very nice bundle that's geared towards to any type of photographer. 

My only caveat is that I'm shooting 3.5fps continuously so my buffer is full after only 6 frames. I've become tempted to switch over to JPEG when I need to do a burst, but I'm a lot more selective now when I get ready to do an action sequence.  Less to look through anyway. 

Midnight Mover

Quote from: Dragonskiss on August 27, 2009, 08:02:09 PM
I usually shoot all in RAW, thanks to Midnight.  

Did I mention that I work for Seagate  <laughing>

Dragonskiss

Western Digital > Seagate

Caviar Black and Green Power is where it's at, my friend. :P

phantomphan1974

Quote from: Dragonskiss on August 28, 2009, 12:45:25 AM
Western Digital > Seagate

Caviar Black and Green Power is where it's at, my friend. :P
More memory space is the drawback of raw.....at least for me
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

Midnight Mover

2 days at the Camarillo airshow = 37 GB. RAW takes up a lot of space. Duy and I had to go to Fry's after the show so I had somewhere to put it all :-\  But now I have been shooting RAW exclusively, but it's not for everyone. I think "gfydad" had 64 GB. Chime in any time Jim :D

BTW Seagate 1.5 TB Drive at Fry's was $114 ;)

Code20photog

I shoot RAW, with the high JPEG. I know it eats up memory space, I carry close to 20Gigs worth of cards. But my old computer had a tendency to corrupt files, sometimes the JPEGs, sometimes the RAWs, so I like having the dual backup.

I process in CS3.

The other night at work, I forgot my card wallet in my car, and I only had a 1g card in the camera so had to shoot in JPEG. You realize just how much you are addicted to RAW when you have to shoot the whole day in JPEG.

Realbigtaco

I've been wanting to shoot RAW for a while, i guess I just never got around to doing it.  Like everyone said you need a lot more space...So for now i still shoot JPEG.  But in this forum i probably don't have a leg to stand on because i have yet to try RAW.

DaFalcon

I use a Nikon D300 and I shot in RAW and JPEG simultaneously.  I shot with the 12MP RAW's losslessly compressed, and then I set the JPEG's to be ~3MP moderate quality "thumbnails".  This allows me to have the JPEG's immediately available for review to assess focus and such.  It doesn't slow down the camera too much, and compared to the RAW files the JPEGs are very small.  I carry with me 2 16GB, 1 8GB and 1 4GB cards.  I haven't run out of space in a weekend...

I process any of the files that I really like with Nikon Capture NX 2 and Photoshop (as needed).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
How many engines are on a P-38 Lightning?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview