Discussion Only-(CoNA) The Centennial Of Naval Aviation

Started by rander, December 06, 2010, 04:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Realbigtaco

Quote from: rander on January 24, 2011, 10:09:53 PM
I copied this from Fencecheck

First, airplanes won't be the only thing flying. The US Navy Leap Frogs will also be flying through the air and are scheduled for three separate jumps.

We expect 73 total static displays ranging from the Navy's first aircraft, The Curtis Triad, to our newest unmanned aerial vehicle. That total is made up of 44 current inventory aircraft (16 with heritage paint schemes) from the Coast Guard, Marines and Navy, and 29 historic Navy warbirds including the F4U Corsair, PB4Y-2 Privateer, SNJ Texan, SNB Kansan, PV-2 Harpoon, TA-4J, JN-4H Jenny, SNJ Texan, OV-10 Bronco, A-1 Triad, UH-1B Huey, HU-16 Albatross, A-1 Skyraider, T-28 Trojan, T-34B Mentor, TBM Avenger, SNJ Texan, TD2C-1 Culver, N2S Stearman, N3N Canary, and T-34B Mentor. There should also be Marine aircraft on the USS Peleliu and an SH-60R on the USS Pinckney.

The Parade of Flight will be composed of 190 aircraft the span the century of Naval Aviation. There will be more than 160 current inventory aircraft from the Coast Guard, Marines and Navy. The finale will be a 30 plus plane formation fly-by from Carrier Air Wing 9 of the John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group. The Blue Angels will lead the Parade of flight and will be followed by almost 30 historic Navy warbirds including the STM Ryan, N3N Canary, N2S Stearman, SNJ Texan, SNB Kansan, FM-2 Wildcat, F6F Hellcat, F8F Bearcat, F4U Corsair, TBM Avenger, SBD Dauntless, PV-2 Harpoon, SB2C Helldiver, HU-16 Albatross, Four T-28 Trojans, Four T-34B Mentors, A-1 Skyraider, FJ-4 Fury, T-2 Buckeye, and T-33B Shooting Star.   

:o  190 aircraft!!  I wonder if they are just going to curve around the bay?  I also wonder if Cabrillo National Monument might be a good spot?

nmcbride

Quote from: aero-engineer on January 14, 2011, 11:03:26 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jan/13/public-invited-visit-three-san-diego-warships/

The public can visit carrier Stennis from 9 a.m. to noon, and tour the amphibious warship Peleliu and destroyer Pinckney from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The Navy advises people to arrive early. Authorities say as many as 50,000 people will visit North Island on Feb. 12th to tour the ships and observe the flyover.

Kevin
aero-engineer

More news on touring the Stennis from Facebook...

Centennial of Naval Aviation Kick Off San Diego USS John C Stennis will only be available for limited public viewing. Entrance to all ships will be free, but will be require a ticket obtained at the open house. Visitors will not be allowed to come onboard USS John C Stennis after 11 a.m. and all visitors will have to be off the ship by noon. USS Peleliu and USS Pinckney will remain open until 4 p.m.

Pretty tight schedule if one wants to tour the carrier.

Raaver

the way you're saying about the flightpath, it's ideal to sit near the big hangars/ramp of the helos, so they'll bank "towards" you?

Robert
Robert Verbrugge, F-16 mechanic RNLAF

aero-engineer

From an Oct 2010 briefing about the year of events.
The CONA Kickoff San Diego slide had this in the corner.

Kevin
aero-engineer
Camera: Nikon

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

rander

Kevin:

The two black roofed buildings are building 341, Where the Static display aircraft will be.

The North Bay is for Pre WWII aircraft. Bay nearest the water
the south By is for WWII-Korean War

Thanks Google Earth for the image.
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

kick Z tail out

Quote from: aero-engineer on January 26, 2011, 09:05:14 PM

Kevin
aero-engineer
Obviously it appears the red arrows (ha) are going to be the Stennis airwing flyover, and the green arrows would be the regular parade aircraft (since those will probably be in singles or sections.)
Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

Realbigtaco

Quote from: kick Z tail out on January 27, 2011, 06:12:50 AM
Obviously it appears the red arrows (ha) are going to be the Stennis airwing flyover, and the green arrows would be the regular parade aircraft (since those will probably be in singles or sections.)
Is that what that was?  I was trying to figure out how you would get 30 aircraft to bank like that.  Looks like it is coming right from the sun... :-\

SBGrad

If the red arrows are truly the (Stennis) fly over path, and the arrows are in the right place them the middle arrow is going over my place.  I'd guess the actual flyover will be completely over the base.  Pt Loma /might/ be better for taking pix of the Stennis aircraft.

YMMV.

phantomphan1974

Quote from: SBGrad on January 27, 2011, 06:40:45 AM
If the red arrows are truly the (Stennis) fly over path, and the arrows are in the right place them the middle arrow is going over my place.  I'd guess the actual flyover will be completely over the base.  Pt Loma /might/ be better for taking pix of the Stennis aircraft.

YMMV.
I have a high school friend that will be on that cruise and I will text him to see if he can confirm the path of the airwing flyby.  He's with the E-2 sqd out of Pt Mugu.
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

kick Z tail out

Quote from: Realbigtaco on January 27, 2011, 06:20:01 AM
Is that what that was?  I was trying to figure out how you would get 30 aircraft to bank like that.  Looks like it is coming right from the sun... :-\
I'm assuming, one of the main basis for my thinking it is that exact reason... if they fly over as a mass formation similar to a fleet return (which I'm hoping they do) I don't imagine they'd follow that parade route. And yep, sun is gonna kick our butts for the head on.  :( What good is a tail shot gonna be...
Quote from: SBGrad on January 27, 2011, 06:40:45 AM

YMMV.
I was thinking Pt Loma myself a month ago, but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea since I had no clue for sure where that flyby would be... now I feel even more confident about that idea, but I don't know if I want to be so far off base (just have the feeling I'd be missing something).
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

Raaver

as i see it, a good spot might be around the (black) hangars (on Randers pic) or as far as to the left of them...
sun in the back, and banking...?

Robert
Robert Verbrugge, F-16 mechanic RNLAF

rander

Quote from: aero-engineer on January 26, 2011, 09:05:14 PM

Kevin
aero-engineer

I don't honestly know what thise Red Arrows are for in the image in reply #65. I believe the green arrow route is more acccurite as to the actual route of the Parade of Flight as organizers have  stated that "There will be many viewing locations along San Diego Harbor."
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

kick Z tail out

Quote from: rander on January 27, 2011, 09:57:23 AM
I don't honestly know what thise Red Arrows are for in the image in reply #65. I believe the green arrow route is more acccurite as to the actual route of the Parade of Flight as organizers have  stated that "There will be many viewing locations along San Diego Harbor."
I don't think the CVW-9 aircraft are going to follow the parade route, unless they break off into sections or gaggles... so I think that's what the red arrows are there for. Makes sense to me...
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

aero-engineer

I'll put this out there:

Looking at highly detailed "powerpoint engineering" graphic showing the flightpaths, it appears that the red goes right over where a carrier would be berthed.

Given that they are shutting down the Stennis midday prior to the flyover, I bet that the flightdeck will serve as "show center/review stand" and be the viewing location for the official Navy brass and VIPs.

Makes sense.

Kevin
aero-engineer
Camera: Nikon

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

SBGrad

Quote from: aero-engineer on January 27, 2011, 10:59:32 PM
Given that they are shutting down the Stennis midday prior to the flyover, I bet that the flightdeck will serve as "show center/review stand" and be the viewing location for the official Navy brass and VIPs.

Yah, that's what I was saying in this thread about a week and a half ago.  I've heard there will be an area set aside for press photographers, but not sure if it will be on the roof or what.

Thing is, the Navy is probably solving for the most dramatic appearance of the flyover, they probably aren't thinking about how to make it easy for photographers.  As others have said, you want to be offset and upsun of the flight path for the best pictures, and I doubt if that will be show center.

On the bright side, there will be enough of us there, in probably a bunch of different places, so SOMEBODY should get a good shot.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview