Discussion Only-(CoNA) The Centennial Of Naval Aviation

Started by rander, December 06, 2010, 04:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

g0_command0

is there a reason why most people are going thursday instead of friday?

rander

Quote from: SBGrad on January 21, 2011, 12:25:00 PM
Sure, but with with anything less than 500mm you'd be doing some serious cropping.  Plus, from Pt Loma, you'd only see aircraft landing on 36, sometimes they come in on 29.  The best place to watch helos take off/land is Harbor Island (free parking is limited).

C-2 from Harbor Island:

BTW, that C-2 is the ONLY picture I have of a fixed wing aircraft coming in to land on 18.  The C-2s do it every once in a while, and bigger stuff (C-17s, C-5s) do it every once in a GREAT while.  The big guys actually come in like they are headed to Lindbergh, but they stay up higher and make a left turn to 18 about halfway down the KSAN runway.  99.999% of the fixed wing aircraft I've seen land at NI come in on 29 or 36.

It's not a normal proceedure for a runway 18 approach The C-2A's usually fly up the harbor, do a Touch and go on 18 then fly round to 29 and do a full stop landing there. Some bigger aircraft may fly  Runway-18 approach by the Lindburgh Field Approach. At 1/2 mile turn left toward the harbor turn right over water and turn left again to land on 18.
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Realbigtaco

Quote from: g0_command0 on January 21, 2011, 02:32:00 PM
is there a reason why most people are going thursday instead of friday?
I was thinking the same thing....maybe arrivals?

rander

Quote from: Realbigtaco on January 21, 2011, 10:19:02 PM
I was thinking the same thing....maybe arrivals?

Static display arrivals should start arriving on the 7th, those that can fly in under their own power 8th- 10th All the static displays should be in place on the 11th for media day.  In building 341 the north bay will be for Pre WWII aircraft. The south bay will be for WWII-Korean war aircraft. Some of the larger aircraft maybe outside.  All later aircraft will be outside
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Venom1

I'm definitely planning on going, but more than likely it will be Saturday.
Aviation Photographer & Videographer
<------------------>
See My Videos!
See My Pictures!

rander

This list is courtesy of Liza at Fencecheck

FEB 12 NORTH ISLAND OPEN HOUSE EVENTS

0900-1300 MORNING ACTIVITIES

CURTISS A-1 TRIAD DEMONSTRATION
LCACs ANCHORED FOR SHOW
CLASSIC CARS (AWARDS AT 1230)
STATIC AIRCRAFT DISPLAYS (70+ PLANES)
SHIP TOURS (CVN/LHA/DDG)
METAL MULISHA MOTORCYCLE STUNT SHOWS (1100 & 1200)
FOOD AND BEVERAGE
SOUVENIR BOOTHS
SQUADRON / COMMAND BOOTHS
WALK AROUND ENTERTAINERS
KIDS ZONE INCLUDING INTERACTIVE INFLATABLES
ULTIMATE VIDEO GAME PARTY TRUCK
CENTENNIAL VILLAGE DISPLAYS
LIVE STAGE ENTERTAINMENT
- DJ EDDIE-G
- DJ PATRICK BRODNICKI
- DRUM/PERCUSSION GROUP 'BANG'
- SCHOOL OF ROCK
- SAFETY ORANGE
- SWEETHEARTS OF SWING
- JACQUELINE MACKENZIE
- SEVEN
- NAVY SHOWBAND WEST
- NAVY BAND 'DESTROYERS'

1300-1530 AFTERNOON ACTIVITIES

OPENING CEREMONIES
LEAP FROGS
PARADE OF FLIGHT INCLUDING 200+ PLANES
LCACs ANCHORED FOR SHOW
CLASSIC CARS
STATIC AIRCRAFT DISPLAYS (70+ PLANES)
SHIP TOURS (LHA/DDG)
FOOD AND BEVERAGE
SOUVENIR BOOTHS
SQUADRON / COMMAND BOOTHS
WALK AROUND ENTERTAINERS
KIDS ZONE INCLUDING INTERACTIVE INFLATABLES
ULTIMATE VIDEO GAME PARTY TRUCK
CENTENNIAL VILLAGE DISPLAYS
- CORONADO HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION                 
- NASA
- FLYING LEATHERNECK AVIATION MUSEUM
- USS MIDWAY
- NAVAL HELICOPTER ASSOCIATION
- FLEET WEATHER CENTER
- MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT

1530-1900 LATE AFTERNOON/EVENING ACTIVITIES

LIVE STAGE ENTERTAINMENT
- BUCK FORD
- AINJEL EMME
- SONS OF THE LAWLESS   

www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

nmcbride

From Facebook:

Centennial of Naval Aviation Kick Off San Diego

The Navy's Blue Angel Flight Demonstration Team won't be "performing" during the open house, but they will make a preseason appearance to lead the Parade of Flight on Feb 12th

kick Z tail out

Quote from: nmcbride on January 23, 2011, 07:23:51 PM
From Facebook:

Centennial of Naval Aviation Kick Off San Diego

The Navy's Blue Angel Flight Demonstration Team won't be "performing" during the open house, but they will make a preseason appearance to lead the Parade of Flight on Feb 12th

Yep, it's supposed to be just a Delta pass... but, I wouldn't be surprised to see the DBO (Delta Break Out.)
Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

SBGrad

Quote from: kick Z tail out on January 24, 2011, 06:24:58 AM
Yep, it's supposed to be just a Delta pass... but, I wouldn't be surprised to see the DBO (Delta Break Out.)

I would be amazed (and not in a good way) to see a Delta Breakout.  Every time I've seen the maneuver, the aircraft are perpendicular to the crowd line.  The way I understand it, the flyover is parallel to dual crowd lines-- one of each side of the bay.  Not to mention that there are lots of obstacles downtown and I doubt they'd perform a dynamic maneuver without practicing it first.

YMMV.

kick Z tail out

It's a benign, non-aggressive maneuver with no heavy pulls or inverted flight, and they've done it at a NASCAR flyover in a busy city before (Richmond VA) during Winter Training. Requires no on site practice, just the same good show site info they take of every location they fly at.

Reference your being amazed "not in a good way"... I guess you don't trust the team/FAA to decide what is safe? Maybe they'll do nothing but fly over, and maybe they'll do the DBO... but either way, I wouldn't be aghast to see anything they might do.
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

rander

Quote from: kick Z tail out on January 24, 2011, 06:24:58 AM
Courious to wonder how much the Blues could do with the tall buildings and continuing traffic at Lindburgh traffic.. ect..
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

kick Z tail out

Quote from: rander on January 24, 2011, 02:20:07 PM
Courious to wonder how much the Blues could do with the tall buildings and continuing traffic at Lindburgh traffic.. ect..
If they were clear to fly through, then they could do a simple maneuver like the DBO. They wouldn't track back on their course and would continue the direction they were headed. That's if they were to do anything.
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

Realbigtaco

Quote from: rander on January 24, 2011, 02:20:07 PM
I thought i heard that KSAN was being shut down for 15 minutes?

rander

Most flights into Lindburgh Terminate or Originate here  and depending on when the Leap Frogs are done jumping , and what the local time is there are short periods when the traffic pattern into Lindburgh Field maybe vacant for several minutes, That might give the Blue Angels a few minutes to do a short program in front of the USS Stennis over the turning channel and have the area over Lindburgh Field and North Island to maneuver
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

rander

I copied this from Fencecheck

First, airplanes won't be the only thing flying. The US Navy Leap Frogs will also be flying through the air and are scheduled for three separate jumps.

We expect 73 total static displays ranging from the Navy's first aircraft, The Curtis Triad, to our newest unmanned aerial vehicle. That total is made up of 44 current inventory aircraft (16 with heritage paint schemes) from the Coast Guard, Marines and Navy, and 29 historic Navy warbirds including the F4U Corsair, PB4Y-2 Privateer, SNJ Texan, SNB Kansan, PV-2 Harpoon, TA-4J, JN-4H Jenny, SNJ Texan, OV-10 Bronco, A-1 Triad, UH-1B Huey, HU-16 Albatross, A-1 Skyraider, T-28 Trojan, T-34B Mentor, TBM Avenger, SNJ Texan, TD2C-1 Culver, N2S Stearman, N3N Canary, and T-34B Mentor. There should also be Marine aircraft on the USS Peleliu and an SH-60R on the USS Pinckney.

The Parade of Flight will be composed of 190 aircraft the span the century of Naval Aviation. There will be more than 160 current inventory aircraft from the Coast Guard, Marines and Navy. The finale will be a 30 plus plane formation fly-by from Carrier Air Wing 9 of the John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group. The Blue Angels will lead the Parade of flight and will be followed by almost 30 historic Navy warbirds including the STM Ryan, N3N Canary, N2S Stearman, SNJ Texan, SNB Kansan, FM-2 Wildcat, F6F Hellcat, F8F Bearcat, F4U Corsair, TBM Avenger, SBD Dauntless, PV-2 Harpoon, SB2C Helldiver, HU-16 Albatross, Four T-28 Trojans, Four T-34B Mentors, A-1 Skyraider, FJ-4 Fury, T-2 Buckeye, and T-33B Shooting Star.   
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview