News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

F-117A Retirement Event - Palmdale, Ca

Started by aero-engineer, February 03, 2008, 12:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

aero-engineer

On Mon April 21, the last 4 F-117As will depart Holloman AFB NM and come out to Palmdale CA for some sort of retirement event.  HAFB departure between 1000-1100 local.

On Tues April 22 the last 4 F-117As will depart Palmdale CA and go to Tonopah Test Range where they will be put in "recallable storage" with the wings removed in secure hangers.

The F-117A CTF at Palmdale will continue to operate their F-117As until the Fall 2008.

Kevin
aero-engineer

Edited by APSC moderator:
APSC Members attending:
Aero-Engineer - Kevin
Phantomphan1974 - Damon
f4_phantom_fan -  Brian??
Camera: Nikon

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

phantomphan1974

Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

Midnight Mover

I wonder how many more airshows we will see them fly  ???  I am hoping one more season ::)

aero-engineer

Quote from: Midnight Mover on February 03, 2008, 09:03:49 PM
I wonder how many more airshows we will see them fly  ???  I am hoping one more season ::)

The chances are slim and none.  The 3 pass airshow demo is probably done for. 

The F-117A Demonstration Team has stood down as of the end of last year.

In March, 3 F-117As will overfly Arlington Nat Cemetary and the USAF Memorial.

The Aprill event will be the last 4 operational F-117As flying heading straight for retirement.

The test squadron will continue to fly through the fall, so you may catch them in the Palmdale pattern if you are lucky.

Kevin
aero-engineer

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

Midnight Mover

Some of us just don't want to accept bad news :'( :'(

Stealth Fighter Day declared

1/18/2008 - SANTA FE, N.M. -- Rep. Nathan Cote (D-Las Cruces) introduced HM 1 declaring Jan. 17, 2008, as Stealth Fighter Day. The bill recognizes the F-117A Nighthawk's years of great service in the United States Air Force who will be retiring the remaining fighters by this summer. It also recognizes Holloman Air Force Base as the home of the stealth fighters since 1992. The commander of HAFB, Col. Jeffrey L. Harrigian, joined Rep. Cote at the Roundhouse to honor the aircraft's service and role in the USAF. The bill unanimously passed the House with a vote of 68-0.

Representative Cote said, "The stealth fighter never failed to stop traffic as it flew over Alamogordo's highways. The entire community and state will miss the F-117 as it goes into retirement." He added, "Its technical and stealth capabilities still amaze me. I am proud to have worked on it while at Holloman. The aircraft has been such an incredible weapon for the United States Air Force and has played such a key role in combat."

The F-117A Nighthawk first flew in 1981, became publicly known in 1988 and has since been in every U.S. armed conflict. Only seven of the fifty-nine jets built were ever lost. It has played a pivotal role in many historic operations such as Operation Just Cause in Panama helping to facilitate the surrender of Manuel Noriega, the cessation of North Korea's nuclear arms program, and in carrying 49th fighter wing pilots from Holloman Air Force Base to Kuwait during Operation Desert Strike.

Colonel Harrigian said, "I am honored to accept this proclamation on behalf of all those who have contributed to and left their 'fingerprints' on this phenomenal weapon system over the last 26 years. When the time came to unveil this mysterious, bat-like aircraft, those that did, did so with unmatched integrity, honor and pride. It is with the same unmatched integrity, pride and dignity that the 49th Fighter Wing will bid the world's first generation stealth aircraft an honorable farewell." He added, "From that historic 13 minute flight of the first Have Blue experimental model to their arrival in the land of enchantment to the successful missions of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the F-117A has admirably answered our nation's call to defend time and time again."

http://www.holloman.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123082975

aero-engineer

Retirement Status:
(Courtesy Stealth Fighter Association)
by Lt Col Lee Taylor
HQ ACC/A4F17

22 aircraft retired by 01 Dec 2007
5 aircraft retired on 25 Jan 2008
5 aircraft retired on 29 Jan 2008
5 aircraft retired on 01 Feb 2008
7 aircraft retired on 18 Apr 2008
4 aircraft retired on 22 Apr 2008
1 aircraft to remain at HAFB as permanent static display.

Kevin
aero-engineer

Midnight Mover

Quote from: aero-engineer on February 06, 2008, 11:41:50 PM
Retirement Status:
(Courtesy Stealth Fighter Association)
by Lt Col Lee Taylor
HQ ACC/A4F17

22 aircraft retired by 01 Dec 2007
5 aircraft retired on 25 Jan 2008
5 aircraft retired on 29 Jan 2008
5 aircraft retired on 01 Feb 2008
7 aircraft retired on 18 Apr 2008
4 aircraft retired on 22 Apr 2008
1 aircraft to remain at HAFB as permanent static display.

Kevin
aero-engineer

Thanks, good info ;)

f4_phantom_fan

For those interested in coming out to Palmdale to see their arrival and departure, here are two good locations to shoot from:

Final approaches, eastside: Intersection of Ave 'N' and 50th St East, then go west on Ave N for a couple of blocks and then wait. Park on opposite side of the street from base fence. A/c are usually low enough at this point here that it's not a total 'belly shot'.

To shoot departures: I think many people know about this spot, but for those who may not, there's a spot called "BJ's Corner" at Sierra Hwy and Ave N. Named after an ex-Marine who used to hang out there in his van every day for many years. Only issue is the lighting is not too great, but you can get around that by hoofing it south a bit down Sierra Hwy or take a dirt road that leads south, just a bit further west of the corner.

Midnight Mover

Thanks for the inside info, might try to make it out there to see it. ;)

NikonGuy

Thank you very much for that 411 guys. I might even go out to Palmdale for that but thats if I get a day off lol.
Fernando Sedeno
Camera: Nikon D90 DSLR
Nikkor DX 18-55mm ED AF
Nikkor 70-300mm ED-IF AF-S VR
Member of... AOPA,PHPA, and ISAP.
www.flickr.com/photos/fernandosedeno
www.helispot.com/who/102247-Fernando+Sedeno/
www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=32801
www.flightaware.com/user/Nando08

f4_phantom_fan

Looks like the rumor is now true. One of the four Nighthawks coming in on the 21st, #843, will be painted with the American flag on the bottom......... <laughing>

phantomphan1974

Phantoms Phorever
F-4 Phantom II Society

Midnight Mover

A schedule would be killer <help>

Anyone out there have a hookup on this one?

aero-engineer

F-117A #843 is wearing the American Flag paint scheme.

Be prepared to wait in the desert a while!

Kevin
aero-engineer

phantomphan1974

Phantoms Phorever
F-4 Phantom II Society

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a P-38 Lightning?:
How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview