News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

Is this Canon 100-400mm L lens "soft"?

Started by sungoban, May 31, 2010, 01:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sungoban

I just bought a brand new 100-400mm L lens this Friday and I'm trying to decide whether the lens is soft @ 400mm or not.  Or whether the poor images are caused by heat haze, low lighting, etc.  Basically, trying to figure out if I should keep it or exchange it.

I met someone from apsocal.com w/ an 100-400mm lens (sorry, I didn't get the name) earlier today @ Imperial Hill, who suggested that I take a picture of a street sign to judge this.  So I took a pic of the Sheldon & Imperial Ave. sign @ 400mm across the street from the Hill.

I'm pretty new @ photography so I'd value other people's opinions.  Is this a "soft" image? 

CHILIBEAN

this looks as if it was the weather..i have this lens and its pretty good one...take a look at the lax thread and look at code20photos he also uses a 100-400mm L lens
Robert S. Quintana

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1

Canon EOS 7D II Digital SLR   <canon>
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    Digital SLR  

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF-16-35 f/2.8 L II USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

phantomphan1974

Duy was having a similar issue.  Contact him.  Service center may be your answer.
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

sungoban

@chilibean - I went to Westchester bridge for a little while on Memorial Day and caught the green Cathay Pacific. My pics aren't nearly as sharp as code20 although the heat haze was awful and bluntly put, he's a much better photographer.  I'd just like a foolproof way to confirm it's the lens and not me.

@phantom - I'd probably just exchange the lens unless you think a service return is a better idea. I just received it from amazon on Friday. 

phantomphan1974

Quote from: sungoban on June 01, 2010, 01:46:34 PM
@chilibean - I went to Westchester bridge for a little while on Memorial Day and caught the green Cathay Pacific. My pics aren't nearly as sharp as code20 although the heat haze was awful and bluntly put, he's a much better photographer.  I'd just like a foolproof way to confirm it's the lens and not me.

@phantom - I'd probably just exchange the lens unless you think a service return is a better idea. I just received it from amazon on Friday. 
Maybe if you feel that it is soft and not a hassle to return.  Dragonskiss is an Amazon shopper as well and had the same issues.  Like I said contact him, would be a good idea.  Good luck!
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

Diegos Aviacion

Canon 30D
Canon 40D
Canon BG-E2N
Canon 300mm L F/4 IS
Canon 70-200mm L USM F/4
Canon 75-300mm  USM III
Canon 50mm F/1.8
Canon 18-55mm IS
Canon Power Shot SX110 IS

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=&airlinesearch=&countrysearch=&specialsearch=&keywords=Diego+Mancilla&sort_order=photo_id+desc&page_limit=15&daterange=&range=&thumbnails=&engine_version=6.0

Dragonskiss

Whether or not an image is "soft" is somewhat subjective to each individual's eye; but I'll chime in. Inherently, this lens is known to be soft at 400mm. However, I've had issues with it throughout the entire focal range. Usually, a lens performs at its sharpest 2 stops down from its widest aperture. In this case, on the tele end, it being f/5.6, the lens should theoretically be at its sharpest at f/11. I've done a variety of controlled tests (tripod, manual focus, etc.) with results that leave something to be desired. I'd be more than glad to take a look at some of the results you get with your copy. Send me a full resolution JPEG/RAW, and if possible, take the image with the body on a tripod with the image stabilization off. Since Amazon is so generous with their return policy, you may want to consider returning the lens and hope for the best on your next copy. Unfortunately, time was not on my side when I had the opportunity to return it, and it may actually be going to the service center in Irvine this week. Also, of note, set your picture style to "Neutral", as this will not add any in-camera sharpening. Hope that helps!

sungoban

Thanks Duy.  My pics look slightly soft to me but maybe I'm expecting too much.  I'm still trying to get over the sticker shock of the lens.  My wife's still shakes her head when I tell her the lens was 1.5X the cost of the camera. 

I'll take some pics @ 100, 200... 400mm w/ a tripod and email them to you.  What's the best way to send RAW files that are about 21 MB large?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview