News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

Gillespie Air Show 2010

Started by Midnight Mover, January 17, 2010, 06:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Midnight Mover

Gillespie Air Show 2010 <rocker>

June 5 & 6, 2010

Gillespie Field
1960 Joe Crosson Road
El Cajon, CA 92020

On June 4, 5 & 6, 2010 Air Group One, the San Diego wing of the Commemorative Air Force will present their (almost) annual Wings Over Gillespie Air Show at Gillespie Field in El Cajon.

The Commemorative Air Force has the largest airworthy collection of former military aircraft in the world. It has over 150 flyable combat aircraft, making it the world's seventh largest air force! The CAF's members number over 10,000 worldwide, composing 80 wings in 30 states and 4 countries. The CAF's purpose is to acquire, maintain and operate vintage military aircraft, ground vehicles and associated artifacts for the education and enjoyment of present and future generations.

The CAF is a living, flying history lesson, giving tribute to America's great military aviation heritage. It proudly displays some examples of the only flying aircraft of its type, such as the B-29 Superfortress and Curtiss SB2C Helldiver. Scores of its aircraft have been used in movies for decades, including the recent version of Pearl Harbor.

Friday June 4 will be a day for students and children from across San Diego county to come and learn about aviation and aviation history. Experts will be on hand to talk to students about the aircraft on static display, and the roles they played. (The actual flying part of the airshow will occur on Saturday the 5th and Sunday the 6th.)

On Saturday June 5th and Sunday June 6th there will be re-enactments of WWII and Vietnam War aerial battles complete with pyrotechnic displays, "bombing" runs and strafing attacks. This year John Collver will once again demonstrate his famous aerobatic skills in his SNJ "War Dog". You'll be able to get up close to famous combat aircraft from World War II and see classic warbirds and other interesting aircraft take to the sky!

Approximately 40 aircraft, both flying and in static displays, will be on hand that you can see up close. This unique air show will have live entertainment throughout the day, interviews with aces and veterans from WWII to present day, a large Kidz Zone, and free shaded seating for over 400 people. As always, more than two dozen food and merchandise vendors will be on hand.

The gates are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission = $12.00 for adults (18 and over); kids 10–17 and military in uniform = $6.00; under 10 = free. Parking is $5.

http://www.wingsovergillespie.org

2009 thread: http://www.apsocal.com/index.php/topic,763.0.html

Realbigtaco

I'll be there, this one is in my backyard.  This is a nice small little airshow, with a surprisingly good warbird lineup.

Midnight Mover

rander

I'll be there depending on my schedule and a spring time trip to Minnesota to visit Mom. 
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

JWright

The Wings Over Gillespie website appears to be dead.  Anyone have any idea if the show is going to take place or not?

rander

Call the office at the main terminal or call air group one at the hanger at Gillespie Field.

According to the following link the Wings over Gillespie airshow is still on for June 5-6 2010.

http://www.amsky.com/~cafairgroup1/
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

JWright

I'll keep my eye on it.  I haven't been in the last couple of years.  I'm still annoyed with the way they handled my request for a media credential a couple of years ago.

rander

I try to make this air show every  year, its much of the same thing every year. The local noise restrictions are the big hampering point to this air show becomming better. Still though it's nice to see WWII vintage aircraft being miticulosly maintained in a flyable condition.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Realbigtaco

Website has finally been updated, looks like the usually suspects at WOG 2010: Condors, Collver, P-51s, Corsair.  Should be good.  I like this year's banner!

kick Z tail out

Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

phantomphan1974

Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

rander

Rander will not be at The Wings over Gillespie Airshow.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Realbigtaco

I hate these teasers:
From the website,
Air Group One is working on last minute negotiations to bring back a favorite airshow aircraft. We expect to know by June 3rd or 4th whether or not this crowd-pleasing plane will be able to come to the show. So come back here before the weekend to see if we are able to bring you the good news!
I'm guessing either the MIG-21 or A-1 Skyraider maybe?  Who knows

Midnight Mover

Quote from: desert rat on June 01, 2010, 03:33:29 PM
Nope, looks like they are going to have the Flying Wing there for the weekend...

Nice ;D

Realbigtaco

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview