News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

T-34 A and B models

Started by evangilder, June 16, 2009, 04:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evangilder

Great stuff, Chris! I have flown with those guys quite a few times over the years. Great group of guys. I see that Kevin Carson took his drop tanks off.

The grounding is finally off the table as they are getting the ALEC issues and other things resolved.

rander

Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

evangilder

They were. There was an issue with the main wing spar that was exhibiting signs of fatigue cracks. There were folks in Texas that were using them for simulated air combat and some people doing aerobatics in them. A couple of those had a wing come off in flight. Most of the T-34 pilots are doing formation flying and lighter G loads, but because of the high airframe stress done by the air combat and aerobatics pilots having issues, all T-34 A and B models had to be inspected and are under flight restrictions on speed and G load. Now that the ALEC issues have been addressed and methods of compliance are in place, the fleet is in a better position. There are three (I believe) methods of compliance for the wing spars that are now approved.

rander

Quote from: evangilder on November 18, 2010, 08:41:55 AM
They were. There was an issue with the main wing spar that was exhibiting signs of fatigue cracks. There were folks in Texas that were using them for simulated air combat and some people doing aerobatics in them. A couple of those had a wing come off in flight. Most of the T-34 pilots are doing formation flying and lighter G loads, but because of the high airframe stress done by the air combat and aerobatics pilots having issues, all T-34 A and B models had to be inspected and are under flight restrictions on speed and G load. Now that the ALEC issues have been addressed and methods of compliance are in place, the fleet is in a better position. There are three (I believe) methods of compliance for the wing spars that are now approved.

Thanks Eric
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Midnight Mover

Quote from: Realbigtaco on November 17, 2010, 10:18:28 PM
Nice stuff Eric.  Well me and you both got rides for Veterans day.  I got to fly twice on Saturday with Jim Ostrich in his T-34 from the Warbirds West Air Museum in El Cajon.  It was a warbird fly in which also had a great talk with 90 year old (bit still sharp as a tack) Brigadier General Robert Cardenas.  And one of his many claims to fame is A B-49 test pilot, and the pilot of the B-29 that dropped Chuck Yeager on his historic flight.  Any ways the first flight was out to the east county for some LOW flying over the desert.  Next flight was a seven ship formation flight over the cross at Mt. Soladad then down the coast and into San Diego Bay.  Awesome, awesome experience for my first ever T-34 flights.

Very nice   8)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview