News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

5D MARK III or 6D

Started by eightball, February 25, 2015, 12:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eightball

My birthday is coming up in April and my wife wants to get me a new camera. I'm up in the air on a Canon 5D MARK III or the 6D, I would like your opinion on which would be best for aviation photography, now I am using my Canon 70D for air shows.

SDAztec25

5D MK3 has 6 FPS and the 6D only shoots 4.5 FPS... Out of the 2, I would choose the 5D MK3. You may want to consider the 7D MK 2, it shoots 10 FPS, only thing is it is not a Full Frame Camera. I have the original 7D and love it...

~ Travis
Travis Miller
-----------------
http://www.travismillerphotos.com

samophoto

If you are looking for a camera for aircraft photos I agree with Travis and look at the 7D2.  Its about a grand less than the 5D3 and has 10 FPS and a faster auto focus.  I have both the 5D3 & 7D2 and use the 7D2 for aviation and birds.

eightball

Thanks Travis and Samuel, I am looking more for a full frame, I just bought the Canon 70D a year ago and can't really justify another cropped frame, I should have waited for the 7D2 to be released. Sounds like the 5D MK3, is what I might get. I hope to see you guys at the LA County Air Show in Lancaster

A beginners question, would the quality of the SD card make a difference in the burst rate say if you used a SD Extreme Pro HC1, 95mb.

samophoto

Yes, I use a Lexar Professional 1000X 64GB UDMA7 for the 5D3; when I first got it I bought a 500X card which I had buffering issues with.  If you are going to spend the bucks for the 5D3 and use it for airshows I recommend the fastest card possible.

eightball

Thank you Samuel I really appreciate your getting back to me this info. helps a lot. Cheers

phantomphan1974

Sorry, I'm a 7D MkII guy....   Robert (MidnightMover) any comments.
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

phantomphan1974

Quote from: SDAztec25 on February 26, 2015, 06:45:02 PM
5D MK3 has 6 FPS and the 6D only shoots 4.5 FPS... Out of the 2, I would choose the 5D MK3. You may want to consider the 7D MK 2, it shoots 10 FPS, only thing is it is not a Full Frame Camera. I have the original 7D and love it...

~ Travis
10 fps does come in handy.
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

eightball

I'll have to put some miles on my 70D before I can think of trading it for a 7D MKII.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview