***NAF El Centro Airshow 2012 and prior Please Read!!!!***

Started by phantomphan1974, February 13, 2012, 10:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

phantomphan1974

Starting on Thursday morning, March 8, we will be actively enforcing the aerobatic box closure.  What that means to everyone is that the hay bales will be off limits from Thursday - Saturday.  They hay bales fall squarely in the aerobatic box and in order to keep the box sterile and not get shut down by the FAA, we will be closing Silsbee road and working with local law enforcement to keep that area free of spectators.

I know that a lot of people like to come out the week of the show and shoot from there, but we almost got shut down last year, so we need to make sure the word gets out as much as possible.  People will be sent away if they try to access that area this year.

Thanks for your help.

V/r -NAF El Centro PAO office

SCHEDULE COMING SOON!!!
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

nmcbride

Anybody else planning on going to the show?

Are there good places to shoot from on Friday given the closures mentioned above?

Chris Sampang and I are planning on going down.

rammsteinmatt

D7000
D7000
17-55 f/2.8 AFS
70-200 f/2.8 AFS VR
200-400 f/4 AFS VR

NAF El Centro PA Office

***Reminder****
Wednesday, March 7th through Saturday, March 10th, photography of NAF El Centro at the hay bales will be prohibited and strictly enforced by the Imperial County Sheriff's Department.  The aerobatic box must be sterile from March 7 - March 10 (inclusive) and in order to accomplish that, the hay bales (which lie inside the box) must be closed.  We appreciate your support in not shooting from the hay bales at Silsbee and Aten Roads as any incursion into this area will immediately shut down our practices/show.

We have a great relationship with the aviation photography community and hope that you will assist us in this endeavor to allow us to prepare for and present a great air show.

V/r -
El Centro Public Affairs Office
This acct is use to post messages recieved from NAF El Centro PAO via admins

billmccarroll

Realbigtaco

After going to the bales for the last 4 years now, i don't know if i'll ever go.

phantomphan1974

Quote from: Realbigtaco on March 01, 2012, 10:20:23 PM
After going to the bales for the last 4 years now, i don't know if i'll ever go.
So you would go to show but only from the bales?  From what PAO says, that area is technically in the FAA airshow box and its suppose to be clear.  Guess all those years you were lucky
Phantoms Phorever
F-4 Phantom II Society

Realbigtaco

Quote from: phantomphan1974 on March 02, 2012, 03:58:47 PM
So you would go to show but only from the bales?  From what PAO says, that area is technically in the FAA airshow box and its suppose to be clear.  Guess all those years you were lucky

No, I've never been inside the box during a show, what i mean is that for the last 4 years I've gone to 2-3 weekends of practice out in El Centro prior to show week (living only 93 miles from NAFEC has it's perks).  And i always tell folks that once you've seen the Blues practice from the Bales it ruins all air shows for life.  To be that close, and then the ease of getting out and in there is just incredible!  Not to mention that because of the ACC cutbacks this year, El Centro's show will only have the Blues and a Superbug demo, and i believe the rest are civil performances.

I don't mean to sound snide about it, and come off as the guy who only goes to see stuff that is "convenient" to him (a winter training snob if you will).  But after this weekend i will have seen the Blues fly 6 times within the last 17 days (and 5 out of 6 was from the end of the runway!), to me i am good with that!

I also just want to add in that I appreciate all the hard work the Michelle, the PAO, and all the personal do for this air show, even if i will not be there.

Realbigtaco

Quote from: nmcbride on February 28, 2012, 12:28:00 AM
Anybody else planning on going to the show?

Are there good places to shoot from on Friday given the closures mentioned above?

Chris Sampang and I are planning on going down.

I assume most traffic is coming in on 26, try Aten road and John W. Finn road.  I would recommend staying away from the fence a couple hundred yards and don't leave you car unattended, AND ONLY PICTURES OF PLANES....NOT THE BASE.  You should get some good arrival stuff if no one kicks you out

rammsteinmatt

Quote from: Realbigtaco on March 02, 2012, 04:39:17 PM
Not to mention that because of the ACC cutbacks this year, El Centro's show will only have the Blues and a Superbug demo, and i believe the rest are civil performances.

Wouldn't ACC cuts only apply to say, the AF, specifically Air Combat Command?

In any case I know what you're saying.  Which basically means that us aviation photographers are going to be beggars for military demos in the foreseeable future.  I'll have to phone my mom and tell her beggars can be choosers.
D7000
D7000
17-55 f/2.8 AFS
70-200 f/2.8 AFS VR
200-400 f/4 AFS VR

Realbigtaco

Quote from: rammsteinmatt on March 02, 2012, 07:18:20 PM
Wouldn't ACC cuts only apply to say, the AF, specifically Air Combat Command?

In any case I know what you're saying.  Which basically means that us aviation photographers are going to be beggars for military demos in the foreseeable future.  I'll have to phone my mom and tell her beggars can be choosers.

Viper West Demo is always at NAFEC, sadly not this year.

phantomphan1974

Quote from: Realbigtaco on March 02, 2012, 08:35:50 PM
Viper West Demo is always at NAFEC, sadly not this year.
Yeah, bought one of their cups when they were clearing out the store.  That was pretty much all that was left.  Pretty cool cup though.
Phantoms Phorever
F-4 Phantom II Society

No Angle

So from what I am reading the air show is not worth going to for photos now? If so please let me know from those of you who have been before they closed the Hay Bale section off. It is a 4 hour drive and I made reservations. I was thinking it may be really hard to get decent shots inside the base from where they will stick people.

Realbigtaco

Quote from: No Angle on March 03, 2012, 09:03:44 AM
So from what I am reading the air show is not worth going to for photos now? If so please let me know from those of you who have been before they closed the Hay Bale section off. It is a 4 hour drive and I made reservations. I was thinking it may be really hard to get decent shots inside the base from where they will stick people.
Actually, photowise El Centro has great lighting, you should get some good stuff.  One drawback is that the main crowd line is set pretty far back from the showline. 

I was just saying that El Centro has been hit hard by Air Force cutbacks, they lost the F-16 demo (I should say they usually get it) and I believe the C-17 as well.  Their schedule is very light this year, Super Bug Demo and Blues and that is pretty much it. 

Can you make Yuma the next weekend?  That schedule looks pretty good.

No Angle

I was not aware of what was going on the next weekend. If it is better then I may change my reservation. The airshow is only 4 hours it looks like which is pretty week. So who do we have to thank for the budget cut backs? Oh wait I think I can guess. It is that guy in the oval office, what was I thinking.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview