News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

EG&G Janet Shots

Started by Josh, May 09, 2007, 05:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

Some Janet 737-200 shots. These are from my trip around Nevada from 2006. From the classic Tropicana south rooms view spot. Forgive the slight blurriness, I was shooting through a window that has never been cleaned, and I didn't have my trusty 100-400IS at the time.

Josh

:)

Josh

Last set.

NikonGuy

Scary looking airplanes. What if the pilots are aliens? lol   ;D
Fernando Sedeno
Camera: Nikon D90 DSLR
Nikkor DX 18-55mm ED AF
Nikkor 70-300mm ED-IF AF-S VR
Member of... AOPA,PHPA, and ISAP.
www.flickr.com/photos/fernandosedeno
www.helispot.com/who/102247-Fernando+Sedeno/
www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=32801
www.flightaware.com/user/Nando08

rander

Don't they use similiar looking aircraft to fly people and supplies to area 51. these flights used to go out of Nellis AFB. Some politician got involved and forced the USAF to move the flights to Las Vegas Airport 
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Josh

Quote from: rander on October 23, 2008, 07:15:41 PM
Don't they use similiar looking aircraft to fly people and supplies to area 51. these flights used to go out of Nellis AFB. Some politician got involved and forced the USAF to move the flights to Las Vegas Airport 

They ARE the exact same aircraft. From what I know they never were based at Nellis. They have always been based at LAS. The terminal they use to be at was at the south west area of the airport, but was then moved in the mid 1990s to the direct West side to Suncoast next to Haven St. They use to fly from Burbank back when the Skunk Works were based there. They make frequant trips to Groom Lake (Area 51), Tonopah Test, Edwards, Palmdale, San Nicolas Island etc, and are operated by EG&G Special Projects Division.

Shot of all six 737-200s from 1985 at Groom Lake.

rander

Quote from: Josh on October 23, 2008, 10:24:28 PM
They ARE the exact same aircraft. From what I know they never were based at Nellis. They have always been based at LAS. The terminal they use to be at was at the south west area of the airport, but was then moved in the mid 1990s to the direct West side to Suncoast next to Haven St. They use to fly from Burbank back when the Skunk Works were based there. They make frequant trips to Groom Lake (Area 51), Tonopah Test, Edwards, Palmdale, San Nicolas Island etc, and are operated by EG&G Special Projects Division.

I was doing a Detachment with VF-114 in 1985 and I was talking to an Air Force enlisted guy who told me he had to go to  Area 51 occasionally and he flew out of Nellis. THe A.F. was using some C-130's (in the early 1980's)from Nellis but then contracted out those flights to presumably to EG&G. From what you stated is gotten more involved going to all the other places you mentioned.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Josh

Quote from: rander on October 24, 2008, 02:20:46 AM
I was doing a Detachment with VF-114 in 1985 and I was talking to an Air Force enlisted guy who told me he had to go to  Area 51 occasionally and he flew out of Nellis. THe A.F. was using some C-130's (in the early 1980's)from Nellis but then contracted out those flights to presumably to EG&G. From what you stated is gotten more involved going to all the other places you mentioned.

The Janet flights are not the only aircraft allowed to fly in, so it doesn't surprise me that you've gotten this story. Lockheed, Northrop and Boeing have had their private planes sighted flying into Groom Lake on many occasions. Military wise there have been reports of C-124s, C-130s, C-5s, C-17s flying in.

Actual Janet flights under the EG&G SPD started with two DC-6s in the 70s then retired in the 80s and replaced with 737-200s. Eventually reaching a total count of six 737s by 90s, and during that time span three Beech 1900s and three 200s were added to the fleet.

rander

Quote from: Josh on October 24, 2008, 08:23:14 AM
The Janet flights are not the only aircraft allowed to fly in, so it doesn't surprise me that you've gotten this story. Lockheed, Northrop and Boeing have had their private planes sighted flying into Groom Lake on many occasions. Military wise there have been reports of C-124s, C-130s, C-5s, C-17s flying in.

Actual Janet flights under the EG&G SPD started with two DC-6s in the 70s then retired in the 80s and replaced with 737-200s. Eventually reaching a total count of six 737s by 90s, and during that time span three Beech 1900s and three 200s were added to the fleet.

Doesn't suprise me, Josh. I really have no interest of the goings on at Groom Lake. I suppose that the 3 companies have aircraft in test there so I beleive that there must be several flights a week landing at Groom Lake.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

aero-engineer

Quote from: Josh on October 24, 2008, 08:23:14 AM
Military wise there have been reports of C-124s, C-130s, C-5s, C-17s flying in.

Don't forget the C-12s.  There were a few those for the stealth squadrons when they were at TTR.

Kevin
Camera: Nikon

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

Josh

Quote from: rander on October 24, 2008, 05:28:34 PM
Doesn't suprise me, Josh. I really have no interest of the goings on at Groom Lake. I suppose that the 3 companies have aircraft in test there so I beleive that there must be several flights a week landing at Groom Lake.

Yeah, the Janet 737s actually fly all day long into Groom Lake, starting around 4am, ending around 7pm.

Quote from: aero-engineer on October 24, 2008, 09:23:04 PM
Don't forget the C-12s.  There were a few those for the stealth squadrons when they were at TTR.

Kevin
I didn't know they had private squadron planes for the 117 squadrons at TTR.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview