CAF's B-17 'Sentimental Journey' coming to the AV area

Started by f4_phantom_fan, July 30, 2009, 10:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f4_phantom_fan

FYI, for the warbird fans, the CAF's B-17, Sentimental Journey, will be coming to Fox Field and Mojave airport during Sept 21 to 25. The brief note in the paper did not specify which days it would be at Mojave and when it would be at Fox, so stay tuned. I'll post again when I know more. Their website did not mention Mojave, but the site also listed the aircraft as being in Lancaster (and at Edwards) during Oct 14 thru 20.

akradecki

My sources (fellow MTM board member) says it'll be in Mojave on the 21st.

Alan
Alan
Mojave Skies blog: http://mojaveskies.blogspot.com

akradecki

I just received confirmation that Sentimental Journey will arrive at Mojave on the 21st, then hop over to Fox on the 22nd. It will stay there until the 25th.
Alan

MatthewPHX

This is actually very interesting to me.  I'll be on tour with Sentimental Journey during this stop, and I haven't heard anything about this stop form the Arizona Wing of the CAF.  I asked them about it when I first read this, but all they told me was that nothing is confirmed yet.  I'll have to ask them again.

If anyone is interested, here's my dates and locations with Sentimental Journey (dates and locations can change, as we are finding out):

• Thurs. Sept. 17 - KVIS - Visalia Municipal Airport, Visalia, CA
  • Fri. Sept. 18 - KVIS - Visalia Municipal Airport, Visalia, CA -> KSMX - Santa Maria Public Airport, Santa Maria, CA
  • Sat. Sept. 19 - KSMX - Santa Maria Public Airport, Santa Maria, CA
  • Sun. Sept. 20 - KSMX - Santa Maria Public Airport, Santa Maria, CA
  • Mon. Sept. 21 - KSMX - Santa Maria Public Airport, Santa Maria, CA -> KMHV - Mojave Air & Space Port, Mojave, CA
  • Tues. Sept. 22 - KMHV - Mojave Air & Space Port, Mojave, CA -> KWJF - General William J Fox Airfield, Lancaster, CA
  • Wed. Sept. 23 - KWJF - General William J Fox Airfield, Lancaster, CA
  • Thur. Sept. 24 - KWJF - General William J Fox Airfield, Lancaster, CA
  • Friday Sept. 25 - KWJF - General William J Fox Airfield, Lancaster, CA -> KSEE - Gillespie Field, El Cajon, CA
  • Sat. Sept. 26 - KSEE - Gillespie Field, El Cajon, CA
  • Sun. Sept. 27 - KSEE - Gillespie Field, El Cajon, CA
  • Mon. Sept. 28 - KSEE - Gillespie Field, El Cajon, CA -> KFFZ - Falcon Field, Mesa, AZ

akradecki

Quote from: MatthewPHX on August 23, 2009, 09:37:48 AM
This is actually very interesting to me.  I'll be on tour with Sentimental Journey during this stop, and I haven't heard anything about this stop form the Arizona Wing of the CAF.  I asked them about it when I first read this, but all they told me was that nothing is confirmed yet.  I'll have to ask them again.

If anyone is interested, here's my dates and locations with Sentimental Journey (dates and locations can change, as we are finding out):

Please do, as I heard from the planning folks on this end that it is confirmed, and we've even lined up the financial sponsors.
Alan

phantomphan1974

Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

MatthewPHX

Quote from: akradecki on August 23, 2009, 06:03:28 PM
Please do, as I heard from the planning folks on this end that it is confirmed, and we've even lined up the financial sponsors.

Alan, I heard back from the Arizona Wing today, they said "unofficially" we're "officially" going to Mojave!  It seems like your info might be better than ours (at least mine).

Quote from: phantomphan1974 on August 24, 2009, 04:25:09 AM
Yours so lucky Matt!!

Damon, I can't wait!  I've grown up in Phoenix and I've loved Sentimental Journey since I was a little kid.  I was lucky enough to fly on her from Mesa, AZ to the Grand Canyon back in May.  It was the best flight of my life, especially since I was able to log 0.5 hours of left seat time on that flight.

If anyone wants to see some photos and a short video from that flight here are some links:

Photos:
http://azaerophoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.msg53#msg53

Video:
http://azaerophoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.msg159#msg159

phantomphan1974

One of these days when I win the lotto I will buy myself a ride.  Wife in not too hot on rides as gifts in WWII aircraft.......
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

akradecki

Quote from: MatthewPHX on August 24, 2009, 12:12:16 PM
Alan, I heard back from the Arizona Wing today, they said "unofficially" we're "officially" going to Mojave!  It seems like your info might be better than ours (at least mine).

Great! See ya when you get up here!
Alan

MatthewPHX

Quote from: phantomphan1974 on August 24, 2009, 12:14:40 PM
One of these days when I win the lotto I will buy myself a ride.  Wife in not too hot on rides as gifts in WWII aircraft.......

It's true, it's not a cheap ride ($425 for 20-30 minutes)!

Quote from: akradecki on August 24, 2009, 04:03:08 PM
Great! See ya when you get up here!

Lookin' forward to it!

MatthewPHX

I received an update to my official tour schedule today (locations could still change):

• Thurs. Sept. 17 - KVIS - Visalia Municipal Airport, Visalia, CA
  • Fri. Sept. 18 - KVIS - Visalia Municipal Airport, Visalia, CA -> KSMX - Santa Maria Public Airport, Santa Maria, CA
  • Sat. Sept. 19 - KSMX - Santa Maria Public Airport, Santa Maria, CA
  • Sun. Sept. 20 - KSMX - Santa Maria Public Airport, Santa Maria, CA
  • Mon. Sept. 21 - KSMX - Santa Maria Public Airport, Santa Maria, CA -> KMHV - Mojave Air & Space Port, Mojave, CA
  • Tues. Sept. 22 - KMHV - Mojave Air & Space Port, Mojave, CA -> KWJF - General William J Fox Airfield, Lancaster, CA
  • Wed. Sept. 23 - KWJF - General William J Fox Airfield, Lancaster, CA
  • Thur. Sept. 24 - KWJF - General William J Fox Airfield, Lancaster, CA
  • Friday Sept. 25 - KWJF - General William J Fox Airfield, Lancaster, CA -> KMIT - Shafter-Minter Field, Shafter, CA
  • Sat. Sept. 26 - KMIT - Shafter-Minter Field, Shafter, CA
  • Sun. Sept. 27 - KMIT - Shafter-Minter Field, Shafter, CA
  • Mon. Sept. 28 - KMIT - Shafter-Minter Field, Shafter, CA -> KFFZ - Falcon Field, Mesa, AZ

UNOFFICIAL Tour Stop
Changed from Gillespie Field (KSEE), El Cajon, CA

akradecki

Quote from: MatthewPHX on August 24, 2009, 12:12:16 PM

Matt, looks like I'll be seeing you at Santa Maria. According to the person coordinating everything, I'm supposed to join you folks there for the flight to Mojave, since I know the area.
Alan

MatthewPHX

Quote from: akradecki on September 05, 2009, 09:41:06 AM
Matt, looks like I'll be seeing you at Santa Maria. According to the person coordinating everything, I'm supposed to join you folks there for the flight to Mojave, since I know the area.

Sounds good to me.

I still can't seem to get an actual "official" statement from the Arizona Wing on this stop, they are still officially stating that we are flying from Santa Maria to Fox Field.  And, they now have a press release on their website stating the arrival date and time into Fox Field as 12:00 noon Monday, September 21.

I'm still going with your info on this, you seem to know more than the CAF on this one!

Midnight Mover

Quote from: MatthewPHX on August 24, 2009, 08:46:15 PM
I received an update to my official tour schedule today (locations could still change):

That's the day I'm coming back from Reno, I will check it out ;D

Let us know if there are any updates ;)

akradecki

Quote from: MatthewPHX on September 06, 2009, 08:27:11 AM
Sounds good to me.

I still can't seem to get an actual "official" statement from the Arizona Wing on this stop, they are still officially stating that we are flying from Santa Maria to Fox Field.  And, they now have a press release on their website stating the arrival date and time into Fox Field as 12:00 noon Monday, September 21.

I'm still going with your info on this, you seem to know more than the CAF on this one!
That press release is from 1 May, before we made the final arrangements. Between the museum and the local chamber of commerce, we've ponied up a lot of cash to make this happen, so, we'll see!
Alan

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a P-38 Lightning?:
How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview