News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

Need Repair Advice

Started by Realbigtaco, April 15, 2013, 09:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Realbigtaco

I'm having issues with my Sony 70-400mm lens.  I've always suspected the focus is slightly off, it always seems like only a few shots are truly in sharp focus, especially on low light or dark aircraft.  This is very frustrating, considering i spent a good amount of money on it.  On top of that now the camera keeps getting put into manual focus for no reason, and i have to cycle the camera on and off to get it to reset.  I know it is the lens, because when i switch lens i do not have the same issue. 

Anyways that was a little bit of venting, i know nobody can really diagnose my problem online..but I am looking on Sony.com about repairs, and a certified Sony repair is $450, not including parts.  I consider my lens to be somewhat equivalent to the Canon 100-400mm lens, so anyone who has repaired a lens, does this seem like a lot of money?  I mean I could buy a new one for about $1500-2000, and they want almost a third to just look at it? Would it be cheaper to take it to a local shop?  Also are local camera repair shops worth looking into, or should i stick with a certified Sony repair shop? 

Any advice would help, i'm tired of my camera issues, and it is just getting me frustrated when i shot.  Thanks

samophoto

You could see if a local shop is an "authorized repair" place for that make, or just check with a local camera shop for ideas.

Aguillard

I highly recommend Kurt's Camera repair on Mission Gorge Rd. Good turnaround time and quality work/people.
Doug Aguillard
San Diego, CA
www.combataircraft.us

Realbigtaco

Quote from: Aguillard on April 16, 2013, 11:07:15 PM
I highly recommend Kurt's Camera repair on Mission Gorge Rd. Good turnaround time and quality work/people.
Yeah thier name pops up on Yelp and Google search.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a P-38 Lightning?:
How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview