News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

A CAMERA STEAL.......

Started by robin990, December 22, 2008, 02:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robin990

rander

Thanks for sharing that site. I'm dreaming of some new photographic things.
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Midnight Mover

The XTI & XSI and the like don't have a separate screen for the camera settings. You have to use the big screen, too much battery power >:( What was Canon thinking ???

NikonGuy

Fernando Sedeno
Camera: Nikon D90 DSLR
Nikkor DX 18-55mm ED AF
Nikkor 70-300mm ED-IF AF-S VR
Member of... AOPA,PHPA, and ISAP.
www.flickr.com/photos/fernandosedeno
www.helispot.com/who/102247-Fernando+Sedeno/
www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=32801
www.flightaware.com/user/Nando08

rander

I ordered a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Auto Focus Lens from Adorama today. it was $159.00 + UPS 3rd day Air shipping. Hope to have it by the 31st, I want to use it at the SD auto Show and at the Midway Museum.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

NikonGuy

Fernando Sedeno
Camera: Nikon D90 DSLR
Nikkor DX 18-55mm ED AF
Nikkor 70-300mm ED-IF AF-S VR
Member of... AOPA,PHPA, and ISAP.
www.flickr.com/photos/fernandosedeno
www.helispot.com/who/102247-Fernando+Sedeno/
www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=32801
www.flightaware.com/user/Nando08

Midnight Mover

Quote from: rander on December 23, 2008, 07:59:29 PM
I ordered a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Auto Focus Lens from Adorama today. it was $159.00 + UPS 3rd day Air shipping. Hope to have it by the 31st, I want to use it at the SD auto Show and at the Midway Museum.

Sweet <xmas>

robin990

Does anyone here still shoot slides ?....and with what camera ?. I bought what i would consider a new Nikon N80 (35mm) with a Nikon 28-80 lens and Sigma 35-80 macro for $110.00. Im going to shoot Velvia 50 through it. What a nice camera for the money. It came with a Nikon strap and a Nikon Manual for the money.Both lenses work great and are also in new condition.

rander

Quote from: robin990 on December 24, 2008, 06:26:34 PM
Does anyone here still shoot slides ?....and with what camera ?. I bought what i would consider a new Nikon N80 (35mm) with a Nikon 28-80 lens and Sigma 35-80 macro for $110.00. Im going to shoot Velvia 50 through it. What a nice camera for the money. It came with a Nikon strap and a Nikon Manual for the money.Both lenses work great and are also in new condition.

Slides  ???

Not since the early 1970's
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

robin990

Im gonna shoot slides because they scan great and  have great colors. And you can`t erase em.

phantomphan1974

Quote from: robin990 on December 24, 2008, 06:26:34 PM
Well we know Craig Kaston does and yeah you can't erase them and probably take up less room compared to prints and negative film.  But the processing can get a little pricey.  But that is the trade off for something that will last for years and years.  I use to shoot Fuji 100 and Kodachrome 64 until I got digital and the camera I shot with Canon Elan 7E started scratching the slides.  :-\
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

rander

I got a bunch of slides I shot in my early years in the Navy in storage at my mothers house in Minnesota. Not going back until july but will have to bring a couple of the 7-8 boxes I have back an scan them. Then share with you guys what I have. Can I do that?  :o I mean scan them on a scanner (HP-3500), Load onto my computer and then post online.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

phantomphan1974

Quote from: rander on December 26, 2008, 08:43:06 AM
I got a bunch of slides I shot in my early years in the Navy in storage at my mothers house in Minnesota. Not going back until july but will have to bring a couple of the 7-8 boxes I have back an scan them. Then share with you guys what I have. Can I do that?  :o I mean scan them on a scanner (HP-3500), Load onto my computer and then post online.
Old slides are COOL!!!  Looking fwd to them!
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

rander

Some of those pics were done with an old Kodak 110 instamatic and other with a Canon AE-1 that I still have. Also I have a  Canon A-1 and 4 lenses that I don't use any more. The Kodak has long ago hit the trash can.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

aim9xray

Quote from: phantomphan1974 on December 26, 2008, 06:11:05 AM
Well we know Craig Kaston does and yeah you can't erase them and probably take up less room compared to prints and negative film.  But the processing can get a little pricey.  But that is the trade off for something that will last for years and years.  I use to shoot Fuji 100 and Kodachrome 64 until I got digital and the camera I shot with Canon Elan 7E started scratching the slides.  :-\
Well, yes, I still shoot slides, but I'm shooting digi as well.  Both media have unique stregnths and weaknesses.  I transitioned into a full new set of systems this year, and it has been interesting.  Previously, I've shot with a dual Canon F-1 setup (one for slides, the other for B&W and sometimes color neg) since 1983. I started having exposure problems with the F-1s several years ago and pressed an ancient T-70 back into service.  I stuck my toe in the digital waters in '06 with a Canon G6 which was quite "educational"... 

(It appears that the new environmentally-friendy" non-mercury PX-625 battery does not have the same characteristics as the old one and was affecting the metering - that and a lens that I *really* liked to use --- arrrgh!)

So, the chance came last year to go into a digi system.  Since it was a complete break with the previous cameras, I could have gone with either Canon or Nikon (since I would be buying lenses as well as a body).  The reasons for going Canon finally came down to two; I liked the 40D sensor cleaning feature, and the 40D/grip combo fit my hand better than the Nikons I tried.

That done, I looked around and picked up a slightly used EOS-1V from Adorama, for shooting slides.  I am growing to like it a lot, although I am going to have to kick the EV up about 1/3 stop to get what I want.

That said as a preface...  there's some things to be said for shooting film.

- It requires a little more discipline.  With the higher cost and bulk (and mechanics of swapping film out at the worst moment), you will be forced to only take good shots.  My overall slide "toss rate"  runs less than about 3-5%. (It boggles my mind to hear that someone or other has shot 6000 frames at the Oceana Airshow... in RAW!  What a huge post-processing workload!  And then, how many shots do you see posted? Maybe ten?)

- It *can* force you into learning what your camera is doing...

- It still has an ultimate resolution better than digital, and no artifacts either.  (And if you want *unbelievable* resolution - go to medium format film.  Digital can not come close.

- No shots lost due to chimping  ;D

- Slide trading still has a lot to be said for it.  Perhaps my perception is off, but I see a lot less interchange of images with digital - at least at the original resolution.  Slides - you get the best resolution there was at the time.

- None of my slides has been lost due to a virus or disk crash.  Carpet beetles is a different story (!).

- NO DUST ON THE SENSOR PROBLEMS!

At this point, I am happy to have a foot in both the digital and film worlds.  Each is a tool and each has its best uses...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview