News:

[06-06-2023] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

USS Midway Museum

Started by rander, November 09, 2008, 02:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rander

I was onboard The Midway Museum all day 11/11/09 meeting new vets and seeing former shipmates I had not seen in a while. The Ceremony to bring the F-4U aboard started at 3:00PM and through the hoopla the order to actuall get the F-4U onboard didn't come until slightly after 4:00PM and as  you can see from the pics it was getting very dark and for those with professional cameras the lighting was getting BAD Quickly.
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

phantomphan1974

Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

kick Z tail out

You make a good point...

They should have a special event once a month where they launch aircraft off the deck and then recover them. People could pay $200 a head or something to come shoot it. Or maybe even once a week. I can just see it now... "Tailhook Tuesdays" ;)
Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

F104Jim

Great photos of the Corsair being lifted on the Midway. Saw it last Thursday ((12/3).

Quote from: rander on November 13, 2009, 07:11:13 PM
I was onboard The Midway Museum all day 11/11/09 meeting new vets and seeing former shipmates I had not seen in a while. The Ceremony to bring the F-4U aboard started at 3:00PM and through the hoopla the order to actuall get the F-4U onboard didn't come until slightly after 4:00PM and as  you can see from the pics it was getting very dark and for those with professional cameras the lighting was getting BAD Quickly.

Midnight Mover

phantomphan1974

Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

rander

The Midway Museum is in the headlines again, see the link. The link I got from my monthly E-mail being a midway volunteer.

6. CHENG
the current issue of Chief Engineer Magazine features the Midway! http://www.chiefengineer.org/content/content_display.cfm/seqnumber_content/4228.htm

www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

rander

I went to the USS Midways Aircraft Restoration Hanger to volunteer some time, shot some pics of thes Piasecki PV-18 HUP-2 Retriever Helo under going restoration at the North Island Hanger. The Rotor Blades have aluminum leading edges the rest is Spruce wood.
The Midway Museum is scheduling a mid February unload for this helo. The museum is going to use the Piasecki as part of the museums Tribute to 100 Years of Naval Aviation. The Tribute will be in February 2011.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

rander

For Aero Engineer: The Midway Museum Is in work Restoring the F-4F Wildcat.

Some pics of Midways F-4F Wildcat undergoing restoration at North Island
in the second pic, F-4F.04 the left wing is in a roll over stand. the primerd part facing toward the camera is all that is left of the original metal. the rest will be all new aluminum.

In the third pic F-4F.06A are copies of original manufacturers drawings of wing spars held together with cleckos. once the NEW spars are test fit the cleckos will be replaced with rivits. Those drawings are courtesy of The Smithsonian Instution. The drawings show each part in it full size with precise measurements.

The 4th pic F-4F.03 shows what is left that is still useable. About 75% of the left wing will be new aluminum.

THe 5th pic F-4F.02 shows drawings for skin panels for the left wing.

Lastly pic 1 F-4F.01 and pic 7 F-4F.07, the green primer is new skin panels and fuselage ribbing that the volunteers, cut, test fit, and assembled to make the main fuselage complete.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

aero-engineer

Quote from: rander on November 06, 2010, 05:20:49 PM
For Aero Engineer: The Midway Museum Is in work Restoring the F-4F Wildcat.

Some pics of Midways F-4F Wildcat undergoing restoration at North Island

Rander,
That is some pretty neat stuff.

Although today the holes may be drilled by computer, the assy laser located, they still are temporarily held into place by cleckos.

Some things never change.

Kevin
aero-engineer
Camera: Nikon

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

rander

I found this on my Midway Volunteers E-mail that I get:

8.Centennial

A yearlong celebration of 100 years of Naval Aviation, covering the scope of all Naval Aviation activities, including aircraft, people, ships, innovations and significant events. This nationally sponsored series of events is scheduled to kick off Jan 2011 and continue throughout the year.  A major airshow is planned for February 12. Midway will obviously share in the celebration. More details will be forthcoming. In the meantime... I have decals, let me know if you want one. Or  visit:

http://www.public.navy.mil/airfor/centennial/Pages/welcome.aspx

www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

rander

The Midway Museums F-4F Wildcat is moving along slowl.

pic F-4F.07

On 12/14/2010 foy the first time since 1940 this fuselage is supported by it's Main Landing Gear!

Pics F-4f.08, .09, .10
photos of the new wing spars built by the volunteer artisansbeing test fit in the wing assembly.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
How many engines are on a P-38 Lightning?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview