News:

[06-06-2023] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

USS Midway Museum

Started by rander, November 09, 2008, 02:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kick Z tail out

I love the Midway. Beats the heck outta any land based museum!  8)
Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

Realbigtaco

Had the chance to get on-board the USS Midway before the crowds for an article I'm writing in airshowstuff.com.  It was a fun little venture, had bad weather (May-gray in August!) for the shot, and I learned that shooting on this ship is not that easy.  There is lots of "Clutter" (i.e. benches, trash cans, stanchions, etc) around the planes that take away from the shot.  anyways here are a few of mine, again instead of wasting forum space here if you want to check out all 55 shots you can check them out here: http://socalaviation.net/USS_MIDWAY_PHOTO_SHOOT.html

<usnflag>

Anyone know if it is bad form to keep linking to your own site in a forum?

Josh

Quote from: Realbigtaco on August 24, 2009, 09:15:15 AM
Anyone know if it is bad form to keep linking to your own site in a forum?

Depends on the forum. Here, we don't care. We're all photogs, so we know the feeling of posting all our stuff for each forum I'm sure.

Great stuff.

phantomphan1974

No worries on the photos.  Post away.  

As far as clutter I know what you mean.  When I first went there shortly after it opened they did not have all that like stanchions, benches and such. Now they do.  Partly probably some one did something to a plane and they had to keep them away.  I would have suggested if you where their early, you could have asked to move some of the lighter things out of the shot for that moment and put it back after the shot.  I do that sometimes at airshows like trash cans or firebottles.  Or I use my wide angle lens if the clutter is on the side.  

Nice shots still the same!!  Love some of the angle shots of the F-4's
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

Realbigtaco

Quote from: phantomphan1974 on August 24, 2009, 10:07:09 AM
No worries on the photos.  Post away.  

As far as clutter I know what you mean.  When I first went there shortly after it opened they did not have all that like stanchions, benches and such. Now they do.  Partly probably some one did something to a plane and they had to keep them away.  I would have suggested if you where their early, you could have asked to move some of the lighter things out of the shot for that moment and put it back after the shot.  I do that sometimes at airshows like trash cans or firebottles.  Or I use my wide angle lens if the clutter is on the side.  

Nice shots still the same!!  Love some of the angle shots of the F-4's

Thanks for the comments.

The one thing I moved in 95% of my shots was the big info board they put right in front of the plane.  Although board makes it sound light...this was a freaking 30 pound steel paper weight!  They were really awkward to move and i banged up my shines a couple of times, but it was well worth it.

Midnight Mover

Great shots ;) I still need to go to the museum and get some shots, so thanks for the heads up on all the clutter ;)

rander

We ARE the Best Museum – Again!

For the 3rd year in a row, your USS Midway Museum has taken First Place in local television station KGTV's prestigious "A-List" for BEST MUSEUM.    We are very proud of this distinction!  To those of you who took the time to vote:  MANY THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!  It makes a difference.....

The Midway website also won a Bronze Bernays for external websites at the Public Relations Society of America awards dinner last Thursday.  (This is kind of like the Academy Awards for public relations practitioners.)

AND: They saluted the industry's finest at Southern California Meetings + Events 's   second annual  Best of 2009 awards celebration recently.   Lori Cartmill, Executive Assistant, was there to receive an award on behalf of the Midway.  The awards honor the dedication and creativity of local event professionals who have earned the respect and admiration of their clients and peers. The readers' choice award winners were selected through online voting at scmeetingsmag.com

Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

phantomphan1974

Wow that great.  Congrats to the museum and all the volunteers that make it a great one.
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

Midnight Mover

Quote from: phantomphan1974 on September 26, 2009, 08:19:41 AM
Wow that great.  Congrats to the museum and all the volunteers that make it a great one.

Ditto, very cool <thumbup>

rander

More Midway Museum News

101 Things To Do

The 101 Things To Do: San Diego Magazine, a publication that we give away in the Visitor Information Center, ranked us Number 1 of all things to do in San Diego County.  Great work to all of you staff and volunteers who make this ship run smoothly, day in and day out.  Now let's keep up the excellent work and maintain our Number 1status!

V/r,  Cody Bray  Visitor Information Center

www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

rander

On November 11th the Midway Museum will hoist onboard their F-4U Corsair in a 3PM Pacific Time ceremony on the Flight Deck. The aircraft is curruntly in the FRCSW Paint Booth at NAS North Island. The Paint process will be complete on 11/10/09.  I am attempting to get some photos of the aircraft every day after work. All Veterans will be admitted free on Veterans Day. The San Diego Veterans Day Parade just happens to pass the Midway Fantail during the parade route I am planning to be onboard on Veterans Day, for the parade and for the onload of the F-4U.

THe San Diego Vteterans Day Parade is at this link
http://www.sdvetparade.org/
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Realbigtaco

Quote from: rander on November 04, 2009, 01:03:53 AM
On November 11th the Midway Museum will hoist onboard their F-4U Corsair in a 3PM Pacific Time ceremony on the Flight Deck. The aircraft is curruntly in the FRCSW Paint Booth at NAS North Island. The Paint process will be complete on 11/10/09.  I am attempting to get some photos of the aircraft every day after work. All Veterans will be admitted free on Veterans Day. The San Diego Veterans Day Parade just happens to pass the Midway Fantail during the parade route I am planning to be onboard on Veterans Day, for the parade and for the onload of the F-4U.

THe San Diego Vteterans Day Parade is at this link
http://www.sdvetparade.org/

Do you know is it open to the public?  I mean i know the ship will probably still be, but how close access can we get.  I would love to get over there for that.

rander

Quote from: Realbigtaco on November 04, 2009, 09:53:54 AM
Do you know is it open to the public?  I mean i know the ship will probably still be, but how close access can we get.  I would love to get over there for that.

Maybe for  while after the 3PM Crane Aboard Ceremony is over until the museum closes at 5PM. The wings will be spread on the aircraft. Thursday Morning the wings will get folded and the F-4U will be moved to the Hanger Bay for display.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

rander

Heres some pics of Midways F-4U Corsair.

The last pic was posted on www.cv-41.org in the Midway forum under midway news/current events last page. www.bessler.com that supports CV-41.org, has an incredibilily small pic requirement 800 X 800 X175 thats why the last pic is numbered 04M.jpg.
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview