News:

[06-06-2023] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

Next lens

Started by BAfan15, January 01, 2020, 04:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAfan15

I have been thinking about a new lens lately, especially with the blue angels being around soon. I have a 70-200 and a 2x converter, but I haven't been super impressed with image quality with the 2x on it. All of my gear is Canon.

My question is - what do you typically shoot with at airshows? I have a unique opportunity in that I'm very close to NAF El Centro (so I can get up close easily), but I'm still left wanting some higher quality images than my teleconverter, but with a tighter framing. I also enjoy wildlife photography, but there are so many options out there it's overwhelming at times. Lately, I've been watching used lenses at KEH (older versions, like the 300 f/2.8 IS version I, 500 f/4 IS version I, etc) because I can't justify dropping 6-12 grand on the latest and greatest, even though I would love to.

I thought about the 300 f/4 or the 400 f/5.6, but at that point it seems like I should just get the 100-400, either version. Then I get to another dilemma... I basically already have a 140-400 as it is with my converter. I really care about image quality, but also want to make sure I have somewhat decent low light capability for wildlife situations. If I'm going to spend 1.5-3.5 grand, I don't want to regret it.

Any input/advice/help is appreciated - obviously my head is spinning. Thanks!

samophoto

I use the Canon 100-400 mark 2 with a 7D mark 2, for airshows I don't use my 1.4 converter.  For wildlife mostly birds I add the converter which makes it an F8 lens with the center focusing point only; I have found that it does slow down the auto focus.

Realbigtaco

Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lens.  Great range, sharp images, and best of all, it's under $1000.

BAfan15

Thank you for your input. I'm planning to rent for a few weeks before I pull the trigger, just to make sure it's what I am looking for. LensRentals has a 20% off coupon for lenses arriving by the end of the month, so that makes it that much easier. Thanks again for the feedback!

phantomphan1974

I am selling my Canon 100-400 Mk I if your interested.  asking $900 obo
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

BAfan15

Quote from: phantomphan1974 on February 12, 2020, 10:03:27 PM
I am selling my Canon 100-400 Mk I if your interested.  asking $900 obo

Thanks, but I'd be looking at a V2 if I go that route.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
How many engines are on a P-38 Lightning?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview