News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

Top Gear like photos

Started by g0_command0, February 06, 2010, 12:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g0_command0

Ive been trying to replicate the way images look in Top Gear. But i suck at analyzing what I see. So i just played around with photoshop and i came up with this:

yes its a horrible attempt, im looking for tips!

now imagine if they made a show called "Top Gun"

rander

I, too, have touched up a few pics prior to posting especially ones that I have shot on cloudy days, to make the surrounding light appear lighter to better high light a gray aircraft.

The pics below were shot 12/12/2009 on a very cloudy day the first is as I shot it

the second was lightened just a bit using Photoshop 6 to better see the aircraft.
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

CHILIBEAN

Robert S. Quintana

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1

Canon EOS 7D II Digital SLR   <canon>
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    Digital SLR  

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF-16-35 f/2.8 L II USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

rander

Quote from: g0_command0 on February 06, 2010, 12:08:15 AM
Ive been trying to replicate the way images look in Top Gear. But i suck at analyzing what I see. So i just played around with photoshop and i came up with this:
yes its a horrible attempt, im looking for tips!

now imagine if they made a show called "Top Gun"

I'm no way an expert but I'm thinking it's The aircraft, appears to dark. (just My THinking).The aircraft appears in full afterburner just starting a take off roll the jet wake appears black and not a light gray to kind of a clear color. Touching photos is something you just have to play around with until you get it. I have actually screwed up my orginal shots to the point where the originals just became unpostable and people would know they didn't come out of the camera looking like that. Thats when you just delete the whole mess and chalk it up to experience.
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Dragonskiss

Looking through some images, looks like to me that's a pretty darn good attempt at trying to replicate the style that Top Gear has.  The darkened shadows, vignetted edges, and B&W effects look great to me.  I'm going to tinker around with one of my images and see what I come up with.  I don't think it would be too different from your results, however.

g0_command0

Top Gear is a british car show (that has airplanes form time to time too)

example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZ9X9A2efA

g0_command0

The coloring like they have in the video. Saturated, shadowy etc

g0_command0

im using: a canon L series Lens (300 F/4 and 70-200 F/4L), for programs just CS3

Rotorhead

I recently started using Lightroom 2 and found that it is extremely user friendly and allows me to develop my pics like this. Once you have developed your own settings you can name them and save them to use over and over as a "preset" - you can also find presets online that other Lightroom users make available, these can also be saved and kept in your "preset" section. There's alot that can be done in Lightroom and I'm still learning, so far I'm pretty impressed. Also, I shoot mainly in RAW, which gives me more options when it comes to post-processing.

Dan

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a P-38 Lightning?:
How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview