Armed Forces Day Celebration and Parade (Sat 5-17-08 Only!)

Started by phantomphan1974, March 04, 2008, 10:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

phantomphan1974

This is a great event in the South Bay with band, performers, fly-bys.  Parade is on Saturday 17 with the USMC being the featured branch of the military.  At the Del Amo Mall there will be exhibts and booth set up with military and law enforcement equipment and usually a helicopter or two as well.  Link to city info http://www.ci.torrance.ca.us/14689.htm

Copied from website:
Dates, Times & Activities
For the 49th Annual Armed Forces Day, the following events will occur in the City during the weekend of May 16-18, 2008:

FRIDAY, MAY 16

EXHIBITS: Military exhibits on display, including aircrafts, vehicles, and support equipment

10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Our observance begins on Friday, May 16, 2008 with the opening of the military exhibits at the Del Amo Fashion Center.  The outdoor exhibits will be in the parking lot entrance to Mall 11 and parking lot of Acapulco's Restaurant (south of Carson, east of Del Amo Circle), with the indoor exhibits just inside the Mall 11 entrance.  The exhibits will continue through the weekend until Sunday, May 18, at 3:00 p.m.

SATURDAY, MAY 17

PARADE: This year's parade will continue the tradition in Torrance of honoring the men and women of our Armed Forces

1:30 - 3:30 p.m.

The 49th Annual Armed Forces Day Parade will be held on Saturday, May 17, 2008. at 1:30 p.m.  The parade route begins at Crenshaw Boulevard traveling west on Torrance Boulevard and ending at Madrona Avenue.  All streets intersecting the parade route will be closed the majority of the day.  Torrance's parade is the longest-running Armed Forces Day Parade in the nation.  As one of few cities designated by the Department of Defense, the City of Torrance is proud to honor the men and women of our nation's Armed Forces.

EXHIBITS: Military exhibits on display, including aircrafts, vehicles, and support equipment

10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

The outdoor military exhibits at the Del Amo Fashion Center will continue in the parking lot entrance to Mall 11 and parking lot of Acapulco's Restaurant (south of Carson, east of Del Amo Circle), with the indoor exhibits just inside the Mall 11 entrance.

SUNDAY, MAY 18

11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
The outdoor military exhibits at the Del Amo Fashion Center will continue in the parking lot entrance to Mall 11 and parking lot of Acapulco's Restaurant (south of Carson, east of Del Amo Circle), with the indoor exhibits just inside the Mall 11 entrance.  The exhibits will end on Sunday, May 18, at 3:00 p.m.

2007 Thread: http://www.apsocal.com/index.php/topic,5.0.html
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

phantomphan1974

Phantoms Phorever
F-4 Phantom II Society

phantomphan1974

Quote from: Midnight Mover on March 07, 2008, 07:35:29 PM
I wll be there 8) Where are we all meeting?
For me still up in the air with Chino that weekend too.  Last time I shot from the Marriott parking lot, but that was just for the fly-bys
Phantoms Phorever
F-4 Phantom II Society

Wolf

I'll definitely be there since I live on the parade route (Torrance & Greenwood) and cannot leave my driveway for quite a while.
Canon 40D

Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS
Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
Canon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 L IS

Memory, hmmm, I forget

Fencecheck ID = WOLF

phantomphan1974

Quote from: Midnight Mover on March 10, 2008, 09:51:01 PM
I missed last years because of a wedding :(
2yrs or so ago had to go to my cousins 2nd wedding and at least got the fly-bys. Thats how I found the Marriot parking lot
Phantoms Phorever
F-4 Phantom II Society

Midnight Mover

Josh

Quote from: Wolf on March 09, 2008, 10:39:13 PM
I'll definitely be there since I live on the parade route (Torrance & Greenwood) and cannot leave my driveway for quite a while.

I might make it, maybe we should meet in front of John's? However the south/west corner of Maple and Torrance Blvd provides a great spot for shots cause of the bend. Thats where I shot last years from.

Midnight Mover

Yep, about the same for me but South East 8) I hope we get better weather than we have now ???

NikonGuy

Fernando Sedeno
Camera: Nikon D90 DSLR
Nikkor DX 18-55mm ED AF
Nikkor 70-300mm ED-IF AF-S VR
Member of... AOPA,PHPA, and ISAP.
www.flickr.com/photos/fernandosedeno
www.helispot.com/who/102247-Fernando+Sedeno/
www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=32801
www.flightaware.com/user/Nando08

Josh

Midnight Mover

How about the area around the south side of Torrance Blvd. between the corners of Maple and Felbar Ave. say around 12:30-1:00 PM or so ;D
Great view of the flyovers <cheers>

Any word on what will be flying over?

Wolf

I'll be in my front yard with family, anyone is welcome to stop by and say hi, grab a drink, or just hang out. Not the best place for the flybys, but good for everything else.

On Torrance Bl., South side, 3 doors East of Hickory. The house with the brown wood fence and brick light post.

John

BTW - anyone remember about 4 years ago when a couple F-14s did a flyby?

http://silentwolfphoto.com/f14s.wmv

Canon 40D

Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS
Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
Canon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 L IS

Memory, hmmm, I forget

Fencecheck ID = WOLF

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a Lockheed L-1011?:
How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview