News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

P-38 Lightning

Started by TrueblueF-18Girl, February 03, 2011, 09:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

TrueblueF-18Girl

WHO: Peter Law was hired right out of college to work for the Lockheed Skunk Works as a thermodynamics engineer associated with SR-71 and the U-2 in Burbank and Palmdale. His career included the M-21, D-21, YF-12A, A-12, F-117A and F-35, Have Blue, and Senior High to name a few. Forty years of his work for Lockheed was with Skunk Works. Pete has also contributed significantly to engine performance in air racing, intimately with several of the Gold Unlimited champions, and is still a vital part of air racing champions today. Joe Szep was the last member of the original Skunk Works team.  He was a designer of the P-38, P-80 Shooting Star, and the Constellation.  He is a recipient of the Reno Air Racing Foundation's Aviation Pathfinder Award.  Charles Isaacs - Historian and Educator.  Kevin Thompson - Planes of Fame Historian and Moderator.

WHAT: The topic is the Lockheed Skunk Works, featuring the P-38 Lighning. Open to the public, we present a discussion panel of aviation experts followed by a question & answer period and demonstration flight of the P-38 Lightning. POF Members are entered into a raffle for a flight in the L-19 Birddog following the presentation!

WHEN: Saturday, February 5, 2011 10:00am–12 noon: Speaker program. 12 noon: P-38 Lightning flight demonstration.

WHERE: Planes of Fame Air Museum
7000 Merrill Avenue #17
Chino, CA 91710

WHY: Our mission at Planes of Fame Air Museum to educate and inspire current and future generations to our aviation and military history.
Mary Peters
Canon Rebel XS "1000D"
Tamaron 75-300mm  Macro

Member of: http://www.planesoffame.org
Fencecheck: http://www.fencecheck.com/
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47864312@N04/
Remember, you can't photoshop with the naked eye!

aero-engineer

I know Pete, he's a great guy.

He actually spent more years at the Skunk Works than Ben Rich or Kelly Johnson by the time he "retired". 

Very talented engineer.

Kevin
aero-engineer
Camera: Nikon

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

aero-engineer

Oh - if anyone goes - ask Pete to tell the story about the A-12 Oxcart static testing.

Kevin
aero-engineer

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

rammsteinmatt

Senior High?  Which a/c or prototype was that?  Google was less than helpful
D7000
D7000
17-55 f/2.8 AFS
70-200 f/2.8 AFS VR
200-400 f/4 AFS VR

aero-engineer

I believe Pete meant "Senor Prom", the little known Lockheed faceted cruise missile of the late 1970s / early 1980s.

Kevin
aero-engineer

raptorf22

some from today

KSzok

Nice images, paptorf22.

There was quite a big turn out at the event.  It was good to see so many people there.  Very interesting information about the Skunk Works was shared by Pete.

Here are a few images from my perspective.

Two of the plane outside the main hanger.

Second engine starting.

Returning from the flight.

Thanks for looking.

Ken

warbirdfotos

phantomphan1974

Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

KSzok

Warbirdfotos and phantomphan1974,  Thanks for the comments.  Very much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview