Discussion Only-(CoNA) The Centennial Of Naval Aviation

Started by rander, December 06, 2010, 04:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

kick Z tail out

Quote from: Realbigtaco on February 08, 2011, 10:44:30 PM
The Stennis airwing is headed into Miramar tomorrow.  Would be nice to see them fly in.  I wonder if they are flying in large formations?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/feb/08/carrier-aircraft-final-preparations-historic-flyov/
They probably will be doing a standard full scale flyoff... dang it... I wish I could be down there for that. Too bad Miramar is so unfriendly to photogs.
Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

rander

Quote from: raptorf22 on February 08, 2011, 11:19:47 PM
I hope they have an f-14 tomcat flying or at list in static display i would relly like to see one flying

Two Tomcats in the SD area that I know of

BUNO 158978 onboard the Midway
BUNO 159629 at the San Diegi Air and Space Museum's El Cajon facility

Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

nmcbride

Other than whatever Iran can hold together with duct tape and bailing wire, there aren't any flying F-14's left are there?   I thought all were chopped up at the ARMARC or shipped of to museums.

raptorf22

there is another one in the museum in chino not plane of fame the Yanks museum have one last time i saw it the girl siad it was  in flying conditions but they were not allowed to fly it  i don't know if still there but i will check

kick Z tail out

Quote from: nmcbride on February 09, 2011, 10:03:17 AM
Other than whatever Iran can hold together with duct tape and bailing wire, there aren't any flying F-14's left are there?   I thought all were chopped up at the ARMARC or shipped of to museums.
Well I'm not sure what the current picture is, but as of a few months ago there were some of the last VF-31 birds still in flying condition and intact out at AMARC. Would be nice if they didn't tear every last one of em up.
Quote from: raptorf22 on February 09, 2011, 12:13:36 PM
there is another one in the museum in chino not plane of fame the Yanks museum have one last time i saw it the girl siad it was  in flying conditions but they were not allowed to fly it  i don't know if still there but i will check
Yanks had 2 seized by the federal government, including the one you speak of. It wasn't in flying condition, but did have it's engines and was the most intact Tomcat in civilian hands. It was taken to AMARC and shredded along with 3 others.
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

raptorf22

It is a sad end for such great aircraft then 20 yrs from now we wont even have one tosee just like the planes from other eras that now are hard to find why desttroy keep some for other generations to see my son never got to see a real tomcat flying he seen them on videos and thats itnavy is too greedy   the iranias still have some flying we should never understimate them there is a site called patricksaviation .com there is allot of pics of iranian f-14 in there and other inf about irans armed forces chek it out

kick Z tail out

Quote from: raptorf22 on February 09, 2011, 02:40:57 PM
It is a sad end for such great aircraft then 20 yrs from now we wont even have one tosee just like the planes from other eras that now are hard to find why desttroy keep some for other generations to see my son never got to see a real tomcat flying he seen them on videos and thats itnavy is too greedy   the iranias still have some flying we should never understimate them there is a site called patricksaviation .com there is allot of pics of iranian f-14 in there and other inf about irans armed forces chek it out
I agree they shouldn't be underestimated... at the same time, the US Government is overestimating the threat of the Tomcat... those Iranian Tomcats are the entire reason we went and destroyed all of ours. We're so afraid that the Iranians are going to get their hands on a swing wing actuator gear or leading edge flap transmission that we took hundreds of our own aircraft and shredded them to pieces. It is sad, I definitely agree there.

It's sad because like you said, 50 years from now we won't have any tangible rememberance of the Tomcat like we have for the P-38, P-47 and P-51 today. There will be nothing. It's also sad that we're so afraid that Iran is going to refit their dilapidated 30 year old F-14s that we did what we did. Those Iranian Tomcats pose very little threat to us, even if they someday, somehow manage to refit them. They're way out of date and outclassed even by *gasp* the Superhornet in almost every category except speed, and their crews suck. The Hughes AWG-9 was incredible in it's day... now, it's not such a big deal even though it still has good reach.

Now if only we could spoof the North Koreans into shredding all their Flankers and Fulcrums like morons (like we did) we'd be set.
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

g0_command0

Which size lens is everyone planning on bringing? Never shot big formations before so idk what to bring really

kick Z tail out

Quote from: g0_command0 on February 09, 2011, 04:25:56 PM
Which size lens is everyone planning on bringing? Never shot big formations before so idk what to bring really
I'm bringing my only 2 lenses and hoping one of them works.  :-[
Nate <nikon>
Jesus Christ is Lord!

CHILIBEAN

Ok now im going cuz i got approved for the media..YaY YaY
Robert S. Quintana

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1

Canon EOS 7D II Digital SLR   <canon>
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    Digital SLR  

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF-16-35 f/2.8 L II USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

phantomphan1974

WTF, I looked at the map of aircraft and no F-4 Phantom II!  One of the most significant aircraft for both the Navy and USMC?   Could have borrowed Leathernecks or Midways?
Damon Duran-Phantomphan1974 Photography (FB, IG, Twitter)
Phantoms Phorever
OCSD Air Support Unit-Photographer
F-4 Phantom II Society

nmcbride

Quote from: g0_command0 on February 09, 2011, 04:25:56 PM

300mm
70-200mm
17-40mm

Hopefully that covers it, if I ever make in if traffic is as bad as it sounds.

What's the best way in?  Up from the South or across the bridge?    Other than Mirimar last year, I haven't been down in SD area since the early-mid 90s.

rander

Quote from: nmcbride on February 09, 2011, 10:03:17 AM
Other than whatever Iran can hold together with duct tape and bailing wire, there aren't any flying F-14's left are there?   I thought all were chopped up at the ARMARC or shipped of to museums.

I think there only 1 Tomcat left at AMARC, I think the BUNO may be 159621 It was a MIG killer in the Gulf of Sidra in Muammar al Gaddafi Line of Death deal back in 1984 or 1985 If I remember correctly. AMARC moved the Tomcat to their Planes of Fame line.
Memberships www.apsocal.com
                  www.fencecheck.com
                  www.tomcat-sunset.org
                  www.cv41.org
                  USS Midway Museum Volunteer

Veteran Tomcat Tweaker

Realbigtaco

Quote from: nmcbride on February 09, 2011, 11:16:53 PM
300mm
70-200mm
17-40mm

Hopefully that covers it, if I ever make in if traffic is as bad as it sounds.

What's the best way in?  Up from the South or across the bridge?    Other than Miramar last year, I haven't been down in SD area since the early-mid 90s.
Go to the bridge, going around south will add about 10 miles or so....and i don't think will save much time.  If you are worried about traffic leave really early, plan on getting to the gate at 8am, and you should be alright.

nmcbride

Thanks.   I am envisioning the hours long entry and exit traffic jam during an Edwards open house.   I never seem to avoid that no matter how early I arrive or late I stay. :o

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a P-38 Lightning?:
How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview