News:

[07-11-2024] Various forum updates made.

Main Menu

March Air Show 2010

Started by Midnight Mover, January 14, 2010, 07:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

gfydad

Only really used the ladder to get up on top of the hay last year at El Centro.  <laughing>

Just be careful of the head gal at the Museum. In '08, when I asked about using one of the maintenance platforms to get shots over the fence for Pacific Flyer, that "lady" wanted to charge me THREE HUNDRED FLIPPIN DOLLARS to share one with some photogs!  :o >:(

warbirdfotos

Quote from: aero-engineer on March 19, 2010, 11:01:46 AM
What's the verdict on the great ladder debate?

Does a stepladder buy you anything, or no?

Kevin
aero-engineer

with the exception of taxiing aircraft most of the flying is going to be over the fence anyway, i just stood back from it and was able to get just about everything, i did 90% of my shooting at the far north end of the museum lot and i cant imagine anyone caring down at that end, just my opinion!

aero-engineer

If someone had an RV, I'm sure shooting from the top from the museum side would be much better than a $300 platform. ;)   (If they allowed it that is.)

It says "front row seats" whatever that means.

Here is the RV agreement: (Note: Space assigned in order of receiving)

http://www.marchfield.org/contractrv.html

Kevin
aero-engineer

http://www.marchfield.org/zcal.html

RV OVERNIGHT PARKING

Friday, April 30 Early entry at 5:00pm
May 1 and 2 Gate Access from 7:00am to 10:00pm*
* Emergency Access Only After Hours *

$75.00 per day for up to 4 guests
Additional guests are $5 and must pay at the front gate.

RV Parkers and Guests separate from General Public . Room for Canopies . Front Row Seating . Easy Access . Great View of the Base .

Carl's Jr. Truck On-Site with Breakfast and Lunch for Purchase Saturday and Sunday only . No Host Beer and Wine Garden On-Site Saturday and Sunday only .

Bleachers on First Come, First Serve Basis.  Coolers, Chairs and Small Umbrellas Allowed* .

No Alcohol. No Hookup Services . No Outdoor Grills . No Pets .

For reservations, please call 951/902-5123

A signed contract and payment in advance is required for entry.
Camera: Nikon

"The work of the individual still remains the spark that moves mankind ahead" - Igor I. Sikorsky

Venom1

Of course I'm on the go list for this one. This is probably one of the better line ups March has had, except that there's no T-birds.
Aviation Photographer & Videographer
<------------------>
See My Videos!
See My Pictures!

kick Z tail out

Same here, I will be there for sure.

Agreed on the lineup. Superbug, Strike Eagle, Raptor... As far as tac demos go this thing is gonna be kick ass. Museum is really gonna kick ass with those tac demos.
Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

Realbigtaco

Yep i can't wait for this one...I'll be there Saturday.  Should be a big APSocal turn out like Riverside....hopefully with better results!

Midnight Mover

Quote from: Realbigtaco on April 13, 2010, 07:02:02 AM
Yep i can't wait for this one...I'll be there Saturday.  Should be a big APSocal turn out like Riverside....hopefully with better results!

Sweet, I'll be there too ;D

Venom1

I'm probably going to be out there for arrival, practice, and the show on Sunday.
<------------------>
See My Videos!
See My Pictures!

Ralph

Same here, last time we saw a F-15(s) here was in 2008, its been too long.
Ralph

Realbigtaco

Anyone see the latest long term forecast?  Intellicast is calling for rain through the whole weekend... :-\  Let's hope that it will change within the next week.  Hey Nick (venom1) needs to give us a weather forecast.
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USCA9610

Venom1

Quote from: Realbigtaco on April 23, 2010, 08:27:18 AM
Anyone see the latest long term forecast?  Intellicast is calling for rain through the whole weekend... :-\  Let's hope that it will change within the next week.  Hey Nick (venom1) needs to give us a weather forecast.
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USCA9610

Yeah, I've been watching it on the weather models the past few weeks and they haven't flipped at all in 2 weeks which is extremely odd. Right now that weekend is sitting on what I call the, "1 week bubble," where the models can't show everything accurately. But it does look like rain Friday-Saturday night and maybe Sunday. I'm hoping it does change within the next few days. I'll keep everyone updated.
<------------------>
See My Videos!
See My Pictures!

Realbigtaco

Venom1

Okay good news and bad news weather wise since the models have moved up. The models have changed. It will rain, but it looks like it will happen part of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Leaving the weekend mostly clear of anything. There still maybe some lingering clouds and maybe some ceiling issues Saturday morning/early afternoon maybe, Sunday looks clear all around. I'm hoping it doesn't kick the marine layer in and the haze after it passes which is notorious for this time of year at March. (as most of us know ::) )  But more than likely the storm is going to screw with arrivals and practice day. I'll still keep everyone updated since stuff can change between now and then, but that's what it looks like as of now to me and not our wonderful National Weather Service Office in San Diego.
<------------------>
See My Videos!
See My Pictures!

kick Z tail out

Quote from: Venom1 on April 24, 2010, 01:05:45 PM
Okay good news and bad news weather wise since the models have moved up. The models have changed. It will rain, but it looks like it will happen part of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Leaving the weekend mostly clear of anything. There still maybe some lingering clouds and maybe some ceiling issues Saturday morning/early afternoon maybe, Sunday looks clear all around. I'm hoping it doesn't kick the marine layer in and the haze after it passes which is notorious for this time of year at March. (as most of us know ::) )  But more than likely the storm is going to screw with arrivals and practice day. I'll still keep everyone updated since stuff can change between now and then, but that's what it looks like as of now to me and not our wonderful National Weather Service Office in San Diego.
Sounds like mostly good news, thanks Nick.  8) I think the good Lord is going to give us one of the first Vapor fests ever to be seen at March.
Nate <nikon>
Nikon D300, 18-200VR, 70-300VR, 80-400AF-S VR
Jesus Christ is Lord!

Ralph

AirFest static displays
Blog on April 18th, 2010 2 Comments

We've been writing a lot lately about all the pilots and aircraft who will be performing at the show.   But equally important and fun are the aircraft coming to the show that will be parked on the ramp* for your exploration delight.  

We have historic aircraft, cutting edge aircraft, military aircraft, civilian aircraft , and yes folks, even unmanned aerial vehicles.   In some cases there will be just one of a type of aircraft, in other cases, there will be several.  A few of our static displays are not aircraft, but it's all cool stuff to see.

Here's a list of the static aircraft we will have at our show.  If the list looks long, that's because it is.  There will be almost 90 aircraft at the AirFest this year!

AT-6 | F-86 USAF Heritage | P-38 USAF Heritage | Pitts S-2B | Extra 300 | ZLIN-50 | Smoke & Thunder Jet Car | F-6F / F-4U Legacy Flight |  L-39 | Oracle Modified Pitts | DC-10 Air Tanker | T-33  | F-22 | F-18 | C-17  | F-15E  | KC-135 | C-45 | T-28 | C-53D / PT-22 / L-4 | C-45H / T-28 | A-4D | T-5 Provost | CH-21B | UH-1B and OH-58 from the Wings and Rotors Museum| Riverside Police | L.A. Police Department | Civil Air Patrol | California Highway Patrol |Customs UH-60 | Riverside Co. Sheriff | B-25 | Cessna 182 | T-41 and T-34 from the March Aero Club | RV-3A | C-21 | C-5 | F-15 | F-16 | KC-135 | T-1 | T-6 | T-38 | C-9 | MH-60 | mini-C-17 | C-130J | Predator | T-43 | B-52

Of course, I'm wondering how all these aircraft will get to our base, so I asked  the Operations Officer for the AirFest, Major Andy Ormiston.   He said all but six aircraft** will be flying themselves to base, even the World War II-era P-38 Lightning.  Sounds like it's going to be a busy day up at the aircraft control tower!

Megan
Editor | The Beacon,  March Air Reserve Base's weekly newspaper

*Air show technicality: static displays.  While most of the "static" aircraft at the air show stay parked in one place for the duration of the show, the performance aircraft are also static displays you can explore...except when they're overhead, awing the crowd.      

**Air show technicality: towed arrivals.  The six aircraft that are not flying to the air show are aircraft from the March Field Museum, which is just across the runway from March Air Reserve Base.  That would be one short flight!

Looks amazing!!
Ralph

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

How many engines are on a C-17 Globemaster III?:
How many engines are on a U-2 Spy Plane?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview